1996 P Washington With Rev Die Break

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Inspector43, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

There is a die break on the lower reverse "Dollar" and upper reverse at states. It could be the same break across the entire piece. 1996 P Wash Full Rev.jpg 1996 P Wash Lower Rev.jpg 1996 P Wash Upper Rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

From your photos I can't see where the die break on the upper portion connects to the break at the bottom. Do you have any photos showing a possible connection? Rim to Rim Die Breaks are cool.

Brina and Inspector43 like this.
  4. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

nice find either way!

Brina likes this.
  5. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Meow found a Arizona P State Quarter with multiple Die cracks once. BU quarter. Sorry but Meow too these pics about a year ago and did not take one of the whole coin. And the coin is loooooong stashed in the Cat hoard. And oh, there are 4 cracks in the quarter.
    WIN_20181216_18_36_41_Pro.jpg WIN_20181216_18_36_49_Pro.jpg WIN_20181216_18_38_06_Pro.jpg WIN_20181216_18_38_21_Pro.jpg WIN_20181216_18_38_33_Pro.jpg WIN_20181216_18_38_49_Pro.jpg

Brina, Collecting Nut and Inspector43 like this.
  6. Inspector43

I agree. I don't see the connection either. But, I did see some indications which I will try to focus on and photo. Thanks for the feedback.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A great example of 2 Die breaks coming together as one.

8. Inspector43

I looked as close as I could and can't see a connection point. It looks like 2 independent breaks. However, there appear to be other breaks on the coin. I will try to get some photos and post them.

9. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies Well-Known Member

Try turning your flash off. Use a secondary light behind your camera. Photograph on a piece of white printer paper.

Brina and Inspector43 like this.
  10. 2manyhobbies

I forgot take 3 pics from very slightly different angles. Crop Just the coin. Nobody wants or needs to see your table. After all we are all here to look at coins,Not tables! LOL! Then post the best of the three. It will take a few minutes,But the better the pic,the better the advice!

Inspector43 likes this.
  11. Inspector43

Thanks< I will try that. In the meantime here is another 1996 P Wash with Die Breaks on the reverse. 1996 P Wash Die Breaks Rev 1.jpg 1996 P Wash Die Breaks Rev 2.jpg

12. 2manyhobbies

Inspector, Those are nice "die cracks" but not die breaks. A die break will run rim to rim across the coin/field/device. I personally would kick this quarter. But if you like then keep it. The better you get,and the more interesting coins you find you might kick it down the road. If not that's also good too!

thomas mozzillo and Inspector43 like this.
  13. 2manyhobbies

I use to keep every spikehead I found. A die crack that contacts the bust or head on the obverse of a coin. Now I just keep the ones with 2 or more unconnected die cracks that connect with the head. I have a few nickels with 4 different contacts, But isn't a die break,because they don't connect.

14. Inspector43

@2manyhobbies Here is a different Washington Die Break that I just took a photo of and cropped it. Is this what you were trying to impress on me? 1995 P Wash Die Breaks Left Wing Test Crop.jpg

15. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

.....that's a die crack

16. Inspector43

Thanks. I have 2 primary goals on this forum: 1 - learn as much as I can (in 70 years of collecting I was only concerned with Date, Mint and Eye Appeal). 2 - catalog as much of my experience as I can so that my children, grandchildren and great grandchildren (those that in all too short of time will inherit this accumulation) will at least respect what is there and have a leg up on continuing or disposing of the collection. I put all of these in 2X2's and describe on them what I have learned. Thanks again.

2manyhobbies likes this.
  17. Collecting Nut

Did cracks my friend, die cracks.

18. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the correction. In my post I called them die breaks when I should have called them properly, as die cracks.

Collecting Nut and Inspector43 like this.
  19. Collecting Nut

There is a difference. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted