1996 P PENNY DDO DDR

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Jeff Callahan, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Jeff Callahan

Jeff Callahan Active Member

I went ahead and posted this one in "What's it Worth?" because I think I have finally found the real thing. I think the doubling is pretty obvious, but, since I know how much some of you enjoy my little arrows, I went ahead and added those too. I know it sounds silly, but I am pretty stoked about this! Remember, we all had our first. This penny is in really good shape too. Don't ruin it for me! I will be anxiously awaiting.

I have more pictures if you want to see them. Only 10 are allowed in the original post.

20201231_200457.jpg 20201231_200516.jpg PICT0000.jpg PICT0001.jpg PICT0002.jpg PICT0003.jpg PICT0004.jpg PICT0005.jpg PICT0008.jpg PICT0011.jpg

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Hi Jeff - Happy New Year!!

Interesting find and your eyes are working overtime this Eve. Unfortunately, this appears to be MD and die deterioration. A coupe things to note -

The outer devices show thinning of the devices towards the outer rim which is typical as the die ages/is used (e.g., the base of the letter is thicker than the top). Regarding the MD, it thins the devices making them look distorted, but if you look at the outline of the outer devices, you can see that what looks like doubling is actually a reduction of the device itself (the outline suggests the typical profile of the device). The O in OF from about 11 o'clock to 2 shows the reduction I describe. It's one of the first places I look at when searching a coin for doubling.

Jeff Callahan and Danomite like this.
  4. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

Jeff, I agree with Kevin.

Jeff Callahan and Kevin Mader like this.
  5. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

6. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

What the Heck, Agree . :cool:

Jeff Callahan likes this.
  7. Jeff Callahan

Jeff Callahan Active Member

I give up!!! LOL

8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Look for the split serifs (notching). None of that on your coin. Look at Wexlers site again and study the pics. He explains split serifs here

https://www.doubleddie.com/58222.html

It takes time, but studying pictures of known doubled dies and understanding the characteristics is a good way to learn. As you are well aware by now, there are lots and lots of MD and DDD out there. True doubled dies are hard to find

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Don't give up. Doubled dies add to the size of the devices, compared to MD that takes away and actually flattens the already struck normal size devices. It takes practice.

10. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

This is generally correct unless you include the modern single-press doubling found on the columns and seated Lincoln. In a box of coins, you should be able to find around a couple dozen.

11. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Class IX doubling is a whole separate can of worms.

Jeff Callahan and Kevin Mader like this.
  12. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

Don't give up... Keep looking and you may hit a "jackpot"

Draft saved Draft deleted