1996 P nickel struck through error and die clash

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Avery G., Jul 30, 2019.

1. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

2019-7-30 12-13-58-1.jpg 2019-7-30 12-14-49-1.jpg 2019-7-30 12-15-12-1.jpg 2019-7-30 18-36-11-1.jpg 2019-7-30 18-39-1-1.jpg 2019-7-30 18-45-15-1.jpg 2019-7-30 18-49-16-1.jpg let's start with the die clash on reverse bldg. Strike through grease obverse "in God" and date. Reverse "e pluribus unum, five cents, united states of america. Struck through wire second "t" in states. Near unum there is gritty texture. More than full steps. Extra two steps. Is the edge normal?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Worn reverse die showing "orange peel" deterioration. Some small die cracks on the left side of the Monticello. Die gouge through the T (it looks raised in your pics.). No evidence of a clash.

What are you looking at to make you think some of the obverse is struck through grease? All the details are there.

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  4. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

It doesn't always eliminate the details altogether. Sometimes the details are not as strong and is blurry or weak. If the wire is above the surface it can't be a die gouge. More importantly under magnification you can literally see the wire pattern and the t is split at the point whete the wire came through. If you look left of dome you see a dome rotated and between five and mont is an imprint of the steps. It's rotated. No damage to the edge, the rims look great and the coin has good luster.
    2019-7-30 12-14-49-1.jpg 2019-7-30 12-14-49-1.jpg

5. Raizac

Raizac Well-Known Member

your coin is damage only worth 5 cents

6. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

You can tell how?

7. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

I definitely will keep it. Thanks for your input.

8. Raizac

Raizac Well-Known Member

9. Raizac

Raizac Well-Known Member

10. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

I said what I am going to do. Therefore, thete is no dispute. The wire is still in the coin. What it is worth is not up to you. Thanks the end!

11. Raizac

Raizac Well-Known Member

Die Deterioration Doubling on the 1955 Poorman's Doubled Die. look this up on youtube

12. Raizac

Raizac Well-Known Member

no, it is not still in the coin if anything that's a die crack
    and yes i have the right to tell you how much i would pay you for that coin it's worth 5 cents to me

13. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

What you just said speaks volumes. There is nothing else to say. Ignorance is not bliss.

14. Raizac

Raizac Well-Known Member

ok so your next step's are to send this coin into pgcs and have it graded this will cost you just around $50.00 + ins and postage both ways so upwards of $70.00
    and a turn around would be just over 3 weeks once it comes back plz post it so you can prove me wrong
    ? how is me telling you that i would not pay you any more than 5 cents for your coin ignorant?
    show me a new picture of this wire sticking out of this coin in focus

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  15. Raizac

Raizac Well-Known Member

you need to look at it this way what your seeing is what you want to see in this coin you want it to be worth a lot of money
    i am taking my time to let you know this is just a normal run of the mill coin there are million's of them out there i am trying to help you as others will not help you anymore. As you are adamant your coin is what you say it is this is not what other's see they have been in this for year's and years of looking at coin's and they have been around this there hole lives!!!!!!! you just started Right?
    do you have a coin shop near you if so go check it out and take your coin with you they will know if you have something

Hookman likes this.
  16. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

If you don't want to help, don't. I know who is who. I will not accept damage with know explanation. Can't learn anything that way. The smart remarks keep to yourself. Does damage negate errors that may be present? We are so quick to say damage period end of story.

17. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

18. Raizac

Raizac Well-Known Member

what are you talking about smart remark's i have not done any that i know of all i have done is give you my opinion and references to help you learn!
    can damage negates errors for most coin's collector's if it's to damage you will not make much off the coin any Die Deterioration the mushy of the moto on this coin
    die deterioration no one will grade it or buy it. as it's worn out if i had a car 1996 and it had rust all over engine seized trany slips 4 blocks for tires it would you buy it for $10,000.00 or would you walk away from it

19. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

I will have it lookef at. Thanks.

20. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Keep it admire it.
    But it is not what you think.
    There is no strike thru. Nor is there a die clash.
    But please spend the money to try and prove us wrong.

Or explain and provide good photos that back up your claim.

21. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

A die clash is when a planchet is not fed into the chamber and the machine stamps/crashes the two dies together.

Then some opposing details are "stamped" onto the other die.
    Like your one dime where the eye had some berries clashed on to it.
    You should be able to look at the other half of the coin and determine exactly which details were clashed.

You stated that the dome itself was "rotated". A die cannot clash upon itself multiple times .. just think about that.

if the coin was stamped multiple times whilst the one die rotated them you would see evidence of more than "just the dome". Once a hardened piece of steel how would you just get one "area" stamped and not the entire thing at least ghosted there?

Also when metal gets scratched you usually end up with a scratch PLUS a part where the metal gets lifted, thus looks like it's raised (as opposed to a die crack which is a crevice that gets filled when stamping).

Metal isn't playdoh and gets compressed easily .. that's why nickels (which are made of metal) are stamped at up to 223 tons of pressure.

A die does not maintain "perfection" for the entire time it is used.
    After the first strike the crisp details start to fade. You have a metal die striking a piece of metal.

Ever seen the flat part of a used hammer ... it's all marked up from hitting nails.

Same thing here .... the small crisp details start to get worn .. or smoothed and the details are lost. As a die gets used even more the flat surfaces start showing crevices in them from all the metal movement .. like what a constant flow of water does over a flat surface .. it creates a creek sooner or later.

They replace dies every day from usage. They don't last too much time as they wear that quickly.

If it was metal dies on brownies (a much softer material) they'd last much longer. But it is metal on metal so damage to the die surfaces starts immediately and destroys it over a short period of time.

Draft saved Draft deleted