1996-P Kennedy Half Dollar error?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Truble, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Truble

Truble Well-Known Member

I search half dollars for silver. I found this coin because when edge hunting it caught my attention. I can not determine if it s silver and a mistake made by the mint or some other anomaly. The half has a great luster, also like a silver half from a proof set, but evidence that it has run through circulation. So looks on both sides as a normal 1996-P. The edge is white just like silver half and shows no sign of the typical cupro-nickel banding. Silver plachett mistake? Does not sound like a silver half, 40 or 90, but also does not have a ring like a cupro-nickel either.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Tyson

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Welcome to CT. I can't tell from the photos as they are out of focus. Please retake and make them clear and sharp. Proof is a process, not a grade. Your description makes it sound like it is a proof and was used in circulation, which is very possible. New photos will help determine this.

4. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

If it is indeed a 1996-P, then it is not a proof. I cannot tell from the photos what the mintmark is, but it does look to me that the coin might have been plated. I agree that better photos would be good.

5. Russell Emmert

Russell Emmert New Member

I also found one of these and am curious if you ever figured out what you have?

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Welcome to the neighborhood, Russell!

You may have noted that this thread is almost 5 years old. It is unlikely that the coin you have is silver. Many coins have been plated to give that impression. The best thing you can do is start a new thread and post good photos of both sides and the edge.

Draft saved Draft deleted