1996 P Half Dollar

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by dave new to coins, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Hello. I found this half dollar, first noticed the word trust not finished, then what appears to be a ring stamped into the lettering and numbers. I don't have a scale, or fancy equipment, but his thing has no reeded edge (I know, not rare, and this is obviously a 'slot coin'), but the thickness is about the same as a nickel. Any ideas what happened to this thing regarding thickness, the ring, and the runoff of "trust"? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Just a beat up circulated coin

4. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Agreed, I was gonna' say "Get those tweezers of the COIN!" but then I saw the tap. :D

dave new to coins likes this.
  5. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Slot coin and the ring is a counting machine ring, a ringer as I call them

6. Thank u. I have dumped the tweezers, even though I had a non-abrasive padding, others have told me to get rid of them. I'll toss it aside I guess, but still don't get what being a worn out slot coin has to do with the trust being misplaced (IMO), and looking like there is a ring stamped where it shouldn't be,
    Thank u. And the thickness?

7. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

More appropriately, a coin "wrapping" machine which "wraps" the coins in paper rolls then uses a circular motion to fold the edges of the wrapper down onto the roll.

Coins are often damaged with the wrapping machines.

8. 19Lyds

"TRUST" is not misplaced. More than likely, slight grease filling of the die as the coin was being minted combined with the wear of the coin.

When you look at many more thousands of Kennedy Half Dollars, you'll see that this is fairly common.

9. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Yup!

10. Fair enough on all that, I'm not well versed in Halfs, this was in a bag of pennies I was sorting. I just pulled a few photos from web to compare. I appreciate all the patience, and feedback, and it all adds up, but still don't understand why it is thin. That cannot be from wear or there would be no obverse or reverse left to view.

11. 19Lyds

It's not thin, you just think its thin.

Here's a nickel and a half dollar:

Nickel and Half 001.JPG

Your coin is correct in the thickness department.

12. So sorry. I thought I got specs from us mint website. TY for follow up.
    Dave

13. 19Lyds

I do not recall ever reading any specs on coin "thickness". I see weight and diameter along with edge type of either reeded or plain. But no reference to "thickness".

14. They had it here. Again, I don't usually get past quarters, this one just happened my way and it looked off. http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/?action=coin_specifications

15. I take your word for it. That's why I came here with it. I spent it today. TY again.

Draft saved Draft deleted