1996 LMC with ?, chips? above IGWT

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jim sullivan, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Jim sullivan

Jim sullivan Toned coins rule

Hey there...so this is kinda a good example of the plating blister question i posed in a recent thread. I found this 1996 LMC with in the motto what looks like little "half moon die chips?" above G O and D, a small flat one above E and T and more like a dot above the R...i am sorry but my camera could be better for closeups. There is total seperation between these "drips" od metal and the raised letters and they do not appear to be bust and showing zink as an obvious blister. Ive looked tbrough thousands of cents and know this looks nothing like the common plating flaking usually seen. Are more like die chips in the shape of the top og the letter they are above. Are there any other known errors out there that sound like this? Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

The slightly raised inside 'rim' you see
    is from the coin being struck on a warn
    or overused die.

There's no error on the cent.....

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Yes.. Caused by a worn die.

Oh wait..
    Fred is starting to answer now! :rolleyes:

5. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

and with a typo --

should have said 'worn die'

6. Jim sullivan

Ill buy deteriorated die if thats what it is assuming yall expanded the pic to maximize the image best ya can and did see the marks im askin about. Im no expert but far from a rookie and while not running mad claiming DOUBLED DIE DOUBLED DIE, its the first time after 20+ years of searching rolls Ive come across this particular anomaly...id say possible reverse clash if they didnt line up so well....man they use the HELL outa them dies!!!!!

7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

@Jim sullivan I agree with an over used die. Philly is known to use their dies to the bitter end. And zinc cents can show all sorts of anomalies that are not errors. Die chips are many, if not most times, pre-ceded by a crack until the crack expands and allows for a chip to form. This is a very common occurrence on cents of zinc. Those are not die chips in the area you are looking at. IMHO.

8. Jim sullivan

I learn something new every day!!!! Im workin on it but only have another 8796 billion pennys to go before ive seen em all!!!! Lol...it is amazing though how many oddball situations will arise due to well worn dies....thanks yall!!!

tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted