1996 double struck penny!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by hight3k, Jul 24, 2016.

1. hight3k

hight3k New Member

Hi, I found a awesome 1996 double struck in collar penny with weak first strike a while back. I was wondering the value Of this error. Any info would be great.

Attached Files:

NSP and paddyman98 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

IMO, you should have it authenticated, graded, and encapsulated by NGC or PCGS.
    To find a value, list it on eBay with an astronomical asking price with a make an offer option.
    I noticed that you have posted this coin on at least two other forums. Good idea.

hight3k likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Nice.. I say it's legit
    did you find this in circulation?
    The reason the 1st strike looks weak is because the 2nd strike caused some of the features to now be flattened.

hight3k likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I agree! Submit it for grading, first.

Chris

hight3k likes this.
  6. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Terrific find.

hight3k likes this.
  7. M.V

M.V Member

Unique find. Congratulations

hight3k likes this.
  8. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Very unique indeed. I'd get with a local coin collector/dealer who is submitting some coins and jump in on it to reduce costs.

hight3k likes this.
  9. rickmp

Not me. I'd send that one in on my own. I don't have enough trust to piggy-back that one.

hight3k and Seattlite86 like this.
  10. Seattlite86

Actually a very good point. I would take @rickmp on his advice and not hand this coin to anyone you don't trust with your bank account number.

hight3k likes this.
  11. hight3k

hight3k New Member

thanks for all the good information...I will send it for grading soon. I agree with rickmp 100%!..

Seattlite86 likes this.
  12. Seattlite86

Please update us on this thread once you get it back!

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Real, And I don't see why it needs slabbing.

14. rickmp

Easier to sell with third party authentication?
    Better selling price with third party authentication?
    Just because you don't believe in slabbing doesn't mean others must follow blindly.

15. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

On a personal level I agree; it shouldn't need it. However, and I know I'm not telling you anything new, doing so should (not, with absolutely certainty, will) give the OP the best chance at maximizing the coin's potential, and/or at the very least give it the opportunity to appeal to the largest audience possible.

Although I certainly understand and respect the other gentlemen's feelings regarding a piggyback, I do believe it should be an option left on the table. All should depend on his (the OP's) personal situation, and since having just a one coin submission can be a costly proposition, he should first weigh the pros and cons before making a decision that best suits his interests. A little due diligence and common sense can go a long way when piggybacking.

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The reason I get puzzed by slabbing pieces like this is it would seem to me that the collectors that would be seriously interested in it can tell it is real, and I can't see the grade as being that important. I will agree that is will increase the potential buyer population among those that think "that looks neat!" but don't really know what they are looking at. And I admit it, I am seriously biased.

17. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

So, what does everyone think this coin would be worth? Tens? Hundreds? Thousands?

18. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

The first strike was normal. It was the second strike that was weak.

paddyman98 and Hommer like this.
  19. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Slabbed and authenticated... A few hundred dollars :watching:

Draft saved Draft deleted