1996 D Yellow Penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MonAmiDarin, Jan 19, 2010.

1. MonAmiDarin

MonAmiDarin Junior Member

I have a 1996 D penny it is yellow. Have looked online have heard everything from its a baked penny to its been dipped in chemical or coate to alter it. The fact is there are a few people out there that have this penny. If it was baked or altered then why just the 1996 D .. Why not bake or chemically alter another year. If it was possible to change the color simply by raising the tempature then why hasnt it been done to other years. I think this must be an error in the plating process. So then I have to ask why hasnt anyone come up with the correct answer.

My only problem with the altering theory is that its been reported in different parts of the country different years and only to the 1996 D. I would love to hear from an expert the truth..

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mcarney1173

mcarney1173 Senior Member

would need to see pics

4. jcuve

jcuve Lincoln variety fanatic

The Mint has stated that is possible for a few zinc planchets to be retained in the plating bath too long and dissolve thereby changing it from copper to brass.

Alternatively, there are common high school experiments that turn the color of Lincoln cents into silver looking metal or a gold looking metal. Obviously if a teenager in high school was doing this, the particular cent they chose would be random and could be any year, including 1996D.

BadThad likes this.
  5. rachael63

rachael63 New Member

i found one while working at walmart...i kept it and it really does seem like 1996 D is a common one because that's what i have too...wonder why that same kind of penny keeps showing up

6. sunflower

sunflower New Member

Poor pennies. Sometimes it seems like the most monsterous things can happen to a cent.

If there really is such a thing as a yellow cent, perhaps it can be coined the 'sunshine cent." Or maybe a cent with jaundice???? How does yellow fever sound?

And you know what they say about not eating yellow snow..... Oh boy, time to move on to another thread.

Keep us posted on this unusally sounding cent. Hope it's not a lemon.

Cochisz likes this.
  7. USMoneylover

USMoneylover Active Member

Too funny:D

8. brotheratom

brotheratom Witty coin reference here

Gold plating not mentioned?

9. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

1983-2003

Some LMC planchet are noted as a Brassy strike.
    a photo would help

10. Stewart

Stewart Searcher of the Unique

11. styropyro

styropyro New Member

Does it look like the gold one in this picture?
    [​IMG]

Like jcuve said, it is possible that the cent was an experiment done in HS chemistry class. The experiment first coats the penny in zinc, then the coin is heated to alloy with the copper to make brass.

12. tlasch

tlasch Penny Hoarder & Food Stamp Aficionado

13. tlasch

tlasch Penny Hoarder & Food Stamp Aficionado

Ouch beaten to the punch I thought about posting my info yesterday but I crashed

14. cerdsalicious

cerdsalicious BigShot

would you like a lil 1985D AS WELL?
    OR
    1988d
    1988d
    1997D

and the list goes on... BTW these show up every fall in our area, due to 3 locAl highschools within 3 miles, within the first 6 weeks these suckers are all over circulation. and then we got gold penny fever just in time for panic selling for da holidays

15. Archetypus

Archetypus New Member

I'd venture to say that some years are more common to find these than others because the mint tries to adjust the entire minting process, including plating, for the best efficiency. I have read that '83 and '85 were pretty common to find those brass cents and for a while, I think they even carried a small premium just because of the hype, but I could be wrong.

16. franky31k

franky31k New Member

I have a 1996 D yellow penny too and mine is magnetic idk how ive tried magnets on other pennies but they wont stick

17. franky31k

franky31k New Member

1996 D yellow penny magnetic need some answers

Attached Files:

18. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Post better pictures obverse and reverse, also weigh the coin.

19. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

20. Nick nicoletti

Nick nicoletti New Member

I have a 1996 D yellow penny also. I got it working in Tampa Florida retail store. It came out of a roll of 1996 pennies from bank rolls. Regions bank.It stuck out like a broken thumb. I generally don't collect coins but I am keeping this one.

21. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

I have a 1994-D brass one. Image26467.jpg Image26469.jpg Image26470.jpg Image26471.jpg Image26473.jpg Image26489.jpg Image26490.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted