1996 D Penny Unique Error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by DrZeus, May 14, 2021.

1. DrZeus

DrZeus New Member

I've come across a unique error on this 1996 D penny and I haven't been able to find anything like it so I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

The number 6 in the date is the most dramatic error but you can also see the same thing on the lettering in LIBERTY. They appear to have raised borders while the center is not. Has anyone come across anything like this? What would the error be classified under for future reference?

1996 D penny (2).jpg 1996 D penny.jpg 1996 D penny (3).jpg 1996 D penny (4).jpg 1996 D penny (2).jpg 1996 D penny.jpg 1996 D penny (3).jpg 1996 D penny (4).jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I've not seen anything quite like that. That's funny looking, for sure.

DrZeus likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It's just damage to the plating. Corrosion on the letters and numbers.

Just because something looks strange or different on a coin it doesn't automatically make it a Mint Error.

Welcome to CoinTalk

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood @DrZeus !

The problem many newcomers encounter when learning about error coins is that they don't know what to call them. Unfortunately, there are thousands of ways that coins can be damaged or affected while in circulation, and there is no name given to them. That is why it can be very hard to find information about them.

DrZeus likes this.
  6. DrZeus

DrZeus New Member

Thank you for the info. I figured it was some type of deterioration but thought I'd get some other opinions. Looks like this one will just go into my collection of "cool" coins that aren't worth more than face value.

paddyman98 and SensibleSal66 like this.
  7. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

its die deterioration.... very common.

Draft saved Draft deleted