1996 D Improperly Annealed Planchet (Sintered)

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Brian Nguyen, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Brian Nguyen

Brian Nguyen Active Member

Hello everyone,
    Can any of you out there help me look at this Nickel? Was it an Improperly Annealed Planchet? It is some sort of Copper (Brown) color. Thanks for all your time. (Newbie to the forum) IMG_0013-ccfopt.jpg IMG_0011-ccfopt.jpg

Michael K likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Important question.. Where did you find it.
    If you got it out of circulation then it is most likely Environmental Damage.
    If you found it in a brand new uncirculated roll of 1996 Nickels then it could be.

4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Look at the edge. If it's shiny like a normal coin, then it could be improperly annealed, if it is the same color as the coin, then it's environmental damage.

I recall reading this explanation from a noted expert in a past CT post, but I'm not 100% certain, so somebody else may want to chime in

5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Coloring looks good. Photo the edge.
    But I don't think it's E.D.
    Need an expert.

6. RickO

RickO Active Member

It may be discolored... however, it is not 'sintered'. Sintered metal is a product of powdered metal technology and NOT used by the mint.

Nyatii likes this.
  7. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Don't we all see hundreds of these. Kinda minor or is it that it just is one

8. Brian Nguyen

@Paddyman I had it at my old job AT Armored Transport like (Brinks) in a Nickel bag that we got to process and ready to roll it up. I had this in my collection since 1999 and put in a plastic holder and assumed it was the error, but not too sure what it was yet. I will follow up with the the edge picture once I get home today. What I recall was the edge is shiny like a normal Nickel, only a very few spot here and there got that color.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. Brian Nguyen

Oh yeah, forgot to Thanks everyone for all your time.

10. Michael K

The color looks right. Especially the reverse.
    I like it. But you need an expert opinion.

11. Brian Nguyen

@Michael Thanks alot! The color look really natural to me. It just doesn't seem like someone tried to altered or high school experimental project.

12. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Ok i get it. I cant deal with that stuff. Theres way to many cents that way. Sorry. I understand it is what it is

13. Michael K

I think there are some other threads here with improperly annealed nickels and they look like that. And yours is in very good condition, and the color on the reverse is
    sparkling. There are some experts who can verify (prob if the rim is correct).
    If someone did doctor this coin, why release it into circulation? It looks too good.

14. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

I think it could be real. The color looks to be good and does resemble others i have seen.

Here's a copper wash I have on an SBA. Is yours this red? Or is it more a color like this nickel?

Screenshot_2018-06-14-20-15-15.png Screenshot_2018-06-14-20-16-53.png

15. Michael K

Well, if it is improperly annealed, I don't think it will be the same color every time.
    Some are cooked too much, some not enough and that will vary the color.

paddyman98 and JCro57 like this.
  16. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

OP...that job had to have been fun. You probably seen alot of nickles in your time. No matter what the outcome, its a sweet coin and cool to see you've kept it for years. Quick side question if you dont mind...where do you get those little bubbles? I need something like that for keepers.

17. Brian Nguyen

@Michael K. Here's the edge of the coin. Sorry! I am really bad with the camera, a lil blurry. And retake the close up pictures of the coin. Thanks.

Attached Files:

18. Brian Nguyen

@matrix. I got the plastic holder back then for .25 each at my local coins dealer. Yes, it was a fun job, most of my collection were from there and bought each of it for face value. Occasionally, there were some collection dump from someone but most of the time were directly from the mint. I really enjoy it. I quit when I have the deployment order. (Be All You Can Be) :)

Draft saved Draft deleted