1996 D "gold" penny.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by mizozuman2, Oct 16, 2011.

1. mizozuman2

mizozuman2 that random guy

okay, so i found this in change today and i thought it was gold, but did a little research and found that it might be a minting error and it is mainly zinc, any info on it? Photo on 2011-10-15 at 23.38.jpg Photo on 2011-10-15 at 23.39.jpg

P.S. sorry about the bad pics, i just am too tired and can't keep my hand still.

thanks!
    mizozuman2

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 5dollarEdunote

5dollarEdunote Coin Connoisseur

Someone just had some fun with chemistry, or plated it.

P.S. Yay! My 200th post!

4. raider34

raider34 Active Member

5. mizozuman2

yeah i saw that raider, but i'm thinking in best case scenario what if it is an error?

6. raider34

raider34 Active Member

The problem is there really isn't a mint error that would produce that result. The "brass plated" Lincolns are close, but they aren't that gold in color Brass Cent Offers (plus, many people, including PCGS/NGC don't recognize those "errors"). I guess a long shot would be a Lincoln struck on a 1/10th oz gold planchet. But even that's not close, a '96 Lincoln should weigh 2.5 grams with a diameter of 19mm, and the 1/10th gold weighs 3.393 grams with a diameter of 16.5 mm.

7. mizozuman2

ahh, i see. well, it's the same size as a penny, so it couldn't be gold planchet, and the sides of it are kind of cut, so maybe someone took off the copper plating? and therefore it would be worth face, right?

8. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Yes, it's worth face. If someone removed the copper plating it would have a zinc color, not gold (and it would probably show signs of pitting). My guess would be the sides were cut from holding the coin with a wrench when the experiment was done.

9. mizozuman2

no, it's not cut, it's like at an angle almost like a knife blade, just that it is smooth halfway across the coin, /*\ it's kind of like that on the sides.

Draft saved Draft deleted