1996 cent - This has to be a DDR!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by PennyRich, Mar 2, 2021.

1. PennyRich

PennyRich Active Member

I appreciate it. Thank you.

Stevearino likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

PennyRich: Your enthusiasm and hard work coin hunting is evident and hopefully you are finding the hobby enjoyable!

Your pictures are excellent by the way.

Maybe you can visit an LCS and look through some error coins in person, and talk with the owner about what you're interested in. Maybe buy a few reasonably priced error coins to get a jump start?

I know nothing about these other than the '55DDO Lincoln, so I follow the error threads to learn what I can.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  4. Amberlarry22

Amberlarry22 Well-Known Member

Nice photo shop!

JeffC likes this.
  5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

There are some linear die scratches on it, too, or die dents. Either way, they don't amount to a hill of baked beans. As for my reply, read your title, again, the post I replied to, and look at those pictures you provided. You were higher than a kite. No need to thank me for trying to bring you back to Earth.

As far as how you landed, while I can see it wasn't on both feet, I'm fine with that, except for your bringing in your military service. I thought that was a cheap shot, given I've family in two world wars, and would never try to victimize or privilege myself for it. But then, it's your thread.

They call it "pareidolia," BTW. Look it up in Wikipedia, if you're unfamiliar. Meanwhile, I'd hit the books a little. I'd start with that link you were provided. You don't have to find the post, I took the effort for you, here: http://www.doubleddie.com/58201.html. And you just have a real big day, and thanks so much for your cooperation.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

What an excellent Photoshop overlay. I feel like I'm on Forensic Files, now, instead of in a coin forum. It really doesn't match the building, who'd have thought it? But then there's science for you. Great job.

Amberlarry22 and JeffC like this.
  7. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Doubled Die is when the die is made and pressed twice slightly off set. Then planchets are struck once with the doubled die and so the doubling is imparted onto every planchet creating the same doubling in the same place on the resulting coin. Thousands of coins are struck from each doubled die and so most all true doubled die errors are known. Sorry but the OP's coin was not struck with a doubled die. Keep looking!

eddiespin and Amberlarry22 like this.
  8. Raizac

Raizac Well-Known Member

really you think that is a DDR have you read anything any of us sent you off to read and learn what a DDO/DDR is? this is a frecking old scratch. you should of seen 100's of scratches by now and know what they look like

ldhair and eddiespin like this.
  9. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Starting in 1997 at the Philadelphia mint (no mint mark under the date) and in 1996 at the Denver Mint (a D under the date), the mint change the way they made the dies that they use to make the coins to a "single squeeze" process and so much less chance for a true DD. Most on Lincoln's are of the doubled ear kind.

eddiespin likes this.
  10. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

You have a lot to learn buddy... hang in there and enjoy the ride! ;)

11. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I enjoyed your post, you are tenacious and thorough, absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. Looking forward to more, thank you.

Stevearino likes this.
  12. usmc 6123

usmc 6123 Active Member

I thought that was your coin and you were showing us a real one my heart skipped. You should warn a brother. I was going to trade my wife for it.

13. usmc 6123

usmc 6123 Active Member

I am sure you will understand this. Shut your pie hole and open your ears and maybe you will learn something. It's like telling a rocket scientist what a screwdriver is. Relax

Mike Thornton likes this.
  14. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@PennyRich ...I agree duty requires no thanks, there are thousands of vets here on Coin Talk who proscribe to this sentiment, but thanks is given anyway...thank you for answering the call.

Regarding your coin...I see you are trying very hard, but it really does take time to absorb all of this numis-mania. You have to have a thicker skin...all of us have to deal with snarky comments. If you are convinced, then send it in. Please let us know the outcome.

Please do not post pictures of your monitor screen. The aspect ratio is all wrong and the horizontal scan lines do not help.

It was noted earlier there are infinite ways to damage a coin post mint, but the minting process is finite and well documented. You must be willing to accept seasoned expertise and learn from the knowledge offered.

Respectfully submitted, ...jmho...Spark

15. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

I have a coin with similar attributes. I'm still single. Please send a photo of your wife. I'm open to trade...

16. usmc 6123

usmc 6123 Active Member

I could not do that to you and still sleep at night. my wife hurts me when nobpdy is looking.

JeffC, Stevearino and Mike Thornton like this.
  17. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

@PennyRich; I don't have the experience to judge your coin, but I think for your peace of mind, you may wish to submit the coin for authentication. I believe ANACS is the least expensive. https://www.anacs.com/ANACSServices.aspx#pricing
    Short of that, I'd love to hear what @Fred Weinberg has to say about this.
    Good luck and I hope you can hang in there.

18. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

Mine doesn't hurt me anymore, I'm faster then she is. That said, I won't know if I have an opinion until she tells me what it is.

Dynoking, JeffC and Stevearino like this.
  19. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

@PennyRich

I suggest you learn the minting process and do much more reading and studying. Your coin is not a DDR, nor is it double-struck.

I think there is hope for you, but you come across as very ignorant and thin-skinned regardless of how people here have told you what you aren't really willing to accept.

eddiespin likes this.
  20. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

He's a little too cocksure. He could be good at this. This isn't rocket science. But he's a greenie and has to let us teach him. There are others who do listen and in time sure enough they're answering more questions than they were asking. He could get to that point, too, virtually anybody can, we've seen 13-year-olds grade like those of us who have been in the hobby for decades, but he has to be willing to learn, first, and if that's somehow repulsive to him, well, that's him, and what can one say?

21. Jay latour

Jay latour Active Member

Penny rich dude it's a penny even if it was what you say it is it's not that big of a deal but it isnt just accept the info given and move on guy your kinda making a fool of yourself arguing your looking to hard maybe try to find something else to do for awhile the isolation can get to you

Draft saved Draft deleted