1996 $100 bill looks odd

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by ozzy, Dec 11, 2010.

1. ozzy

ozzy New Member

I first need to say hi! New to this site and new to coin collecting. Now every time I get change back, I look at it to see if I have anything worth collecting!

I was at the bank the other day and noticed this odd looking 1996 $100 bill. The back of the bill is printed low and to the left causing the watermark to look misplaced as well. It just looked a ton different then the other $100s I had.

If someone could give me some info on the bill I would appreciate it.

$100 Front.jpg
    $100 back.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

slightly miscut if you can see any of the next bill it may have a small premium. Higher denom notes can be hard to sell in lower conditions.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

Just the back side looks to be off, the front looks normal. Looks different in person, almost fake looking.

5. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Did these notes have watermarks?

6. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

The lower margin is very "skinny", but other than that, it appears to be a well worn, workhorse, Richmond district hundred dollar bill

7. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

The front appears just as low as the back in the pics. ???
    Looks miscut as proposed by another.
    I believe this was the first year of redesign, so the only marker it should have is the "thread" of yellow with writing when you hold it up to light. It will have the blue and red threads dispersed through the paper just as all bills had for most of the 20th century.

Trust me, if you are into coins and currency at all, you will know the instant a counterfiet hits your hands.
    They feel different... VERY different. They feel like school notebook paper that has been wadded up and flattend out so many times it is soft and flimsy. Nothing like a real note in any condition, old or new.

George McClellan likes this.
  8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

I know its not fake, just looked fake while mixed in with other $100s I had!

Today I showed the bill to a elderly man who lives down the street from me, been collecting for years. He agreed that the back looks to be printed lower and to the left. While holding the $100 to the light, he showed me that the front and back do not line up, back is way off causing it to look miscut.

I dont really know, just thought it looked different enough to hold onto it and ask some questions before depositing into the bank. I will try to scan the bill again to show the difference from the front and back. Thanks for the input, really do appreciate it!

9. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Truthfully, it has been so long since my wife has let me have a $100 bill, that they all look extremely rare and exotic to me.

But your miscut and possibly offset print looks like a nice find.

gary

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

11. Billy325

Billy325 New Member

Hi I just recently got in to coin collecting and Came across this 100$ bill . Is it worth anything?? D3DF52C0-EDE0-46E0-B95C-8D4024881184.jpeg

12. Billy325

Billy325 New Member

CE2B7133-AA57-48A4-981A-40E3B21E82D0.jpeg

Attached Files:

13. Billy325

Billy325 New Member

14. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Counterfeit detection pen mark on left.

15. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You posted on a thread from 2010..
    Very old thread. You should create your very own new and unique separate thread.

16. George McClellan

George McClellan Active Member

Hey, maybe counterfeiters ought to put detection pen marks on their "boodles of queer".

17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Not a bad idea. But it would have to be a yellow magic marker, cause the iodine pen would stain their phony paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted