1995D Lincoln cent

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jessica L McClellan, Jan 10, 2020.

1. So my penny looks like a example in viriety vista A 1995DDO?
    IMG_20200107_225613.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Really? I don't think it does.

Looks like DDD - Die Deterioration Doubling.

Not a Doubled Die variety

4. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

5. Kasia

Yours is also a D minted coin. The DDOs of 1995 are Philadelphia ones.

6. Kasia

7. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

You are not being discriminatory enough in your comparisons.
    It doesn't look anything like the 1995 DDO

The marks (doubling looking marks) to the left of LIBERTY and to the lower right of the date are from Die Deterioration.

Jessica L McClellan likes this.
  8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT Jessica. Current lousy zinc coated cents can show some strange anomalies but usually that's all they are. The plating issues can make the devices look doubled and blisters can create all sorts of odd things. Keep looking and questioning what you find. Good luck.

9. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Sorry sis. Sucks that it's not but your moving in the right direction. I have to ask on all my coins also. But i havn't lost all my coin questios

Guy Ferguson likes this.
  10. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

...yep, DDD and plating blister above R/LIBERTY. It’s an AU58 Red, flat hair, worn suit lapel from bowtie to rim...Spark

11. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

@Kasia - check this link out http://coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1995&die_id=1995d1do003&die_state=eds

The most valued DDO for this date came from the Denver mint. In actuality, the major DDO from the Philly mint is the second most valuable. Lots of folks only look for the Red Book sanctioned varieties. RB sells the variety hunters/collectors short as a result.

12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Since there seem only to be a few hundred of the 1995D DDO known, it isn't too odd not to find it in coin value lists. Jim

Guy Ferguson and Kevin Mader like this.
  13. Kasia

Cool, I'll have to pay attn for that more now. Hadn't seen one. I have thre Philly ones, I believe. All slabbed.

14. Kevin Mader

I have 2-3 myself but I learned a tough lesson early on in my Variety hunting career. I had a 1995-1DO-002 in my hand only I didn’t really know it. I stared at that coin for hours as it didn’t look ‘right’. But I was looking for 1DO-001 and the strong doubling wasn’t there and I didn’t understand how that type of doubling occurred. So I tossed it back. It wasn’t until later that I found Coppercoins and realized what I did. I still feel the pain.

15. Kasia

Ohhh. That is painful for sure.

I try to look at coins individually and hopefully have not missed one in hand, but it's very possible I have. I know I am not really intently studying each coin I look at but am probably more trying to notice pick up points for the number I am 'actively' looking for, and secondly trying to see if anything jumps out at me if it's not a variety that is on my find list (so to speak).

Spark1951 and Kevin Mader like this.
  16. Kevin Mader

Yes. I used to do that to but it morphed into that plus looking for doubling traits. This is necessary if you are looking for a discovery piece. Most will be minor but you will find them. I suspect that there are thousands of them (tens of?) especially with the current methods for producing working dies. Consider the very minor DDRs on the last 10 years of the LMC series. Tons of them. Good luck on the hunt!

Kasia likes this.
  17. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

18. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I searched almost 5000 1995 cents. About that time I learned there was a second DD I should have been looking for.:banghead:

Kevin Mader and Clawcoins like this.
  20. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

and ppl think I'm crazy for hoarding all my change. Sooner or later after all the DD are documented ... I may take a look ...

Kevin Mader likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted