1995D Double Die Reverse?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Kay67, May 13, 2024.

1. Kay67

Kay67 Member

I am well aware that the 1995 D Penny has the DDO variety. But could there be a variety with DDR? Tell me what you think. thanks!

Oops I added the same pic twice, how do I change that?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Looks to be more like split plate doubling IMO. Very common on copper covered zinc coins. If you see below the E of ONE, the darker line is the exposed zinc core.

4. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

It looks to me like machine/mechanical doubling or die deterioration doubling. Just sloppy machinery, and not DDR.

VistaCruiser69 and Spark1951 like this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

@Kay67
    Hello. That is not a doubled die variety.

Also, the correct Numismatic terminology is Doubled Die not double die. Big difference.

Here it is used on a popular coin magazine..

20180522_044741.jpg

VistaCruiser69 and SensibleSal66 like this.
  6. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Wexler lists 7 DDO and 6 DDR for 1995D LMC. If you suspect doubling, this is where you go to confirm what you think you have. Also CONECA/Variety Vista.
    doubleddie.com for Wexler. Varietyvista.com for CONECA.

Reiterating what the other members have said, your coin has die deterioration doubling. I actually perused the listings for this date earlier today and I can tell you those varieties listed at Wexler do not match anything on your coin.
    …imo…Spark

Last edited: May 13, 2024
    Cheech9712 likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I’m not seeing true doubling. Welcome to CT.

8. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

The 1995 D DDO is the best variety from that date. I’m glad you are awareness of its existence.

Class 2 doubling produces devices overlapping and toward the rim. However, your specimen is showing flow rather than impression…typical to aging dies. You’ll see that some years/decades that dies were run beyond their useful life where devices blend into the rim. We often see posts of the L in LIBERTY seemingly attached (sometimes a combination of aging die and a give ODV).

Browse Wexler’s site on understanding the different classes of doubling and worthless doubling. It will help you along the learning curve.

9. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Everyone should keep this reference page, with all the links, within easy access:
    https://doubleddie.com/144801.html
    Be sure to click on the links at the bottom and up the left side... good info

10. Kay67

Kay67 Member

Thank you everyone. With all that being said, and what if I do actually find a Doubled Die, what do I do with it? I found this 1989 D penny, and what I saw in the tutorial, I see genuine doubling, there are definitly two 8s and two 9s, the D is single, but now I'm unsure. Sigh, this is all so confusing.

Attached Files:

11. Collecting Nut

Minted by a worn die.

12. Kay67

Kay67 Member

What does that mean?

13. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

The die used to press the material into pennies in the minting process is worn out from excessive usage. When these get worn out, what happened to your penny is the result.

PennyDie.JPG

Collecting Nut likes this.
  14. Collecting Nut

As explained by @VistaCruiser69. The doubling you see is common as the die was worn and needed to be replaced. Not a true doubled die.

VistaCruiser69 likes this.
  15. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

You will get a deeper explanation at Wexler’s Doubleddie.com.

In short, as dies age they deform. An irregular surface is one sign of aging. If around a device(s), like the date, material flows creating a halo effect.

16. ela

ela New Member

Thank you for the links info

Spark1951 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted