1995-W Proof ASE Question

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Antonio, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Antonio

Antonio New Member

Hey there, pardon my ignorance, but are there any 1995-W PF-70 ASE's in existence? I've only seen PF-69. I imagine it'd demand quite the price...

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C Jay

C Jay Member

PGSC list one PF-70 and NCG list 312 in their population reports. They are not cheap. NCG values theirs at a little under $19,000.00. The PGSC is the one that makes the headlines.

4. Antonio

Antonio New Member

Wow. Thanks. I'd love to just see one in person one time. Obviously, there's more expensive coins, I just love the American Eagle series.

5. C Jay

C Jay Member

You may find that PF-69's are just as impressive as the PF-70's. I first started collecting silver eagles when I got lucky and purchased 4 2008 w reverse 2007 burnished ASE from the mint. I sent them in for grading and my best and worst coins came back MS-70 and my two middle coins came back MS-69. I don't think any of them deserved those grades. I also sent in 4 2008 standard burnished ASE which I think are much better than the ones with the 2007 reverse. All of those came back MS-70 and I think probably deserve the grade. The 4 standards just pop out at you, none of the reverse 2007's did. This soured me on TPG's and I now just collect just collect them raw and keep them in their original mint boxes.

GoldFinger1969, vlaha and green18 like this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Here, Here!

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

PCGS is actually showing 17 have graded in PR70DC.

8. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

10. C Jay

C Jay Member

I stand corrected, read the wrong column. There is only 1 MS-70 1995 ASE. Thank you for catching my error.

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Just look at one of the 69's they're a lot easier to find and they look the same.

12. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

When my "SHIP" comes in, I'll get one of these.

In whatever grade I can get.

Stevearino likes this.
  13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

14. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

US mint records show that most of these coins went to Clinton era apparatchiks.

15. Pepperoni

Pepperoni Senior Member

At some point when using a TPG you loose control of you merchandise . This I find as a hole in the system. Unless coins are marked like diamonds , with micro serial numbers a piece of merchandise can be exchanged for another. There is a great amount of latitude
    when one says grade this item but you do not really know if it is what you sent in . Diamond dealers went to serialized stones for the very sane reason and of course blood diamonds from Africa being sold raw.
    A coin that is found and graded higher than one or two in a very prestigious collection could and would change the value of that collection.
    On the reverse it is very important to verify that older coins are authentic as many counterfeit coins exist . TPG`s are needed for this service while you watch.
    I was going to take eighteen gold coins in for verification my Grand Father left my Father. He left them in a picture album , in small brown envelopes .
    He never looked in the album . He had not seen his father from his fifth birthday until he was about 41 years old . I saw him when I was about 12 years old.
    I figured he acquired the coins about 1909 -1912 so there was no need to have them verified . I will pass these down to my daughters .

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Nonsense, anyone who wanted one of these coins could have perchased them from the mint at the time. Proof of that is that they authorized 50,000 pieces and only a little over 31,000 were ordered. Interest was low enough that they didn't manage to sell out.

Paddy54 likes this.
  17. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

That price above for $86K was the highwater mark.

Current prices are about $20,000 or so as you can see from the current eBay bidding:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-W-Amer...015749?hash=item1eabd70a85:g:8L4AAOSwvUlWp~2c

What I have heard is that PCGS is now charging $5,000 if your 1995-W ASE comes back MS70 DCAM. Never heard of a TPG charging a fee if you scored entry into a very select coin population. Still trying to confirm this but it appears legit.

18. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Really, how would that go?

Pcgs calls:

Pcgs: Sir your 95w graded 70dcam. This will cost you an additional $5k

Submitter: I don't have that kind of extra cash for this

Pcgs: ok we will be returning it to you in a body bag

GoldFinger1969 and Jdiablo30 like this.
  19. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

To my understanding of this as, I just had a coin sent into pcgs by a dealer friend of mine,they now charge a surcharge of 10% over the assets value. As what they did to my coin. So if you are sending in a coin that you value as a coin in the 10k price range . They are going to send you an invoice for 10% of the coins value,more than the service fees. No matter if the coin grades or not. I'm not sure of the cap, of the amount. I do know that he had sent in several high dollar coins and mine piggy backed on his . He received a call and them an invoice from pcgs for the amount over the cost of the submission sent them with the coins.
    I will also add he showed me the invoice so it was not a attempt to over charge me.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  20. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Someone bid against him!

21. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Is that on their website ? I was shocked to hear about the 1995-W policy and that was only for 1 particular coin. I find it hard to believe they are doing this for all coins with the value determining the surcharge.

I wouldn't/couldn't pay it -- you are talking about forking over big $$$ for moderately expensive coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted