1995 unclad dime

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by C chaser, May 25, 2019.

1. C chaser

C chaser New Member

I saw a post saying this was not possible/probable, but it does not have any appearance of ever being clad on either side. You can see it’s measurements and I can weigh it. What else should I be looking for? 4FE75BF9-F593-4B3D-8740-935F9FB35361.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That isn't missing a clad layer. The reeding on the edge looks odd though. My first inclination is damage but I will defer to @paddyman98 and @JCro57

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

And never touch a coin you think may be valuable with metal tweezers. You will ruin it.

5. C chaser

C chaser New Member

They are calipers, not tweezers.

6. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Metal?

7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Same/same in this case.

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

If it was missing a clad layer it would be a shiny copper color. The obverse of your coin looks harshly cleaned, while the reverse shows environmental damage. This is what missing clad layer looks like:
    cpm9ball.jpg

9. C chaser

C chaser New Member

It is a shiny copper color, but it can’t be captured on my iPhone well. It looks like a penny in dime form.

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's just damage.

11. Howard Black

Howard Black Active Member

Try adjusting the camera's white balance and take another photo. Maybe take it off "auto" and set it to the type lighting you're using (daylight, incandescent, whatever). If necessary, try different settings until you get something that renders accurately. If you have access to a "Kodak 18% Gray Card" (I doubt they're still making them, but there should still be plenty available) that would make a good target for calibrating the camera.

The caliper's display is not visible in the images. Can you just type in the dimensions and weight?

C chaser likes this.
  12. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

Little amateur sleuthing here: I think the obverse looks weird due to the gunk in the low points of the devices, leading me to believe that the obverse once resembled the reverse and was cleaned for no good reason, maybe just to see the date. Maybe a metal detecting find, put back into circulation.

13. Michael K

It's not a missing clad layer, but if you think it is, you need to weigh it.
    2.27g a normal clad dime, a missing clad layer dime weighs around 1.85g.
    And so if your dime weighs anywhere around 2.27 it's not missing a layer.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Metal is metal and all metal will scratch a coin.

15. C chaser

C chaser New Member

Thanks for a piece of information I can actually use

Michael K likes this.
  16. C chaser

C chaser New Member

It is 1.9. Thanks.

17. Michael K

It may well be but it looks nothing like a missing clad layer.
    I don't believe it is. Here is one from another thread, this is Paddymans coin:
    3019836-003.JPG

paddyman98 likes this.
  18. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

If it were struck on a Cent Planchet.. it would be the same size and weight of a Cent planchet.. it is just environmental damage.. NOT a Mint Error.

Michael K likes this.
  19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It looks like a clad coin to me, just damaged by the environment and circulation. Spend it.

20. Howard Black

Howard Black Active Member

Well, call me a heretic, but this is not consistent with all the declarations of it being a normal dime, and is frightfully close to "a missing clad layer dime weighs around 1.85g." (Close enough to be within tolerance, IMO.)

You are the only one to actually see the actual coin with your actual eyes, and thus, you are the only one to be able to make an actual decision on where to go from here.

If you are fairly certain that it is a bona fide no-clad dime then you might want to send it in for grading/certification. (Just make sure that you tell the grading company to charge you the fee for error-checking, using whatever their nomenclature is for that service. Otherwise all you'll get back is the coin's grade, or a "details" description. Or a "body bag.")

21. Michael K

A penny blank would be too large to be struck as a dime.
    Put up some better photos, and it's almost 100% that it's not worth grading

Draft saved Draft deleted