1995 Penny with two errors

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by ska69, Aug 4, 2012.

1. ska69

ska69 Member

I came across this 1995 Penny in change a few days ago. I believe that it has two errors. The first is on the obverse. It appears to me that the "B" in LIBERTY wasn't stamped onto the coin properly,perhaps the die was clogged with grease. It doesn't seem to be post mint damage. The other error is what I believe to be a die crack on the reverse beginning at the lower left of the "T" in UNITED extending through the first column on the Lincoln Memorial. Any thoughts?

Penny 2of2.jpg PENNY 1of2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. HowardStern

HowardStern Member

Grease filled "b", but not a die crack on the reverse. Is the crack connected to the rim?

4. VDBforDave

VDBforDave Lincoln Error Collector

Yes, Grease filled on the B.

And I have to disagree with Howard, I do believe that is a die crack on the back. I also see another small die crack inside the second 9 in the date. Not a rare error, but is technically an error.

5. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

6. HowardStern

HowardStern Member

The reverse looks to straight to be a crack to me. It goes through a pillar too straight. I dont think its a feeder finger mark or die scrape on the obverse. Looks like a filled die.

7. ska69

ska69 Member

The line starts at the base of the "T" and ends within the Lincoln Memorial and doesn't touch the rim. It's rasied from the field, which makes it almost certain that it happened during the creation of the coin at the Mint. Being that the impression in the die for the columns are deeper, the line line is not visable through the column.

8. ska69

ska69 Member

I did not even notice the crack within the 2nd 9 until you pointed it out. Great catch!

9. Rodinnc

Rodinnc New Member

I'm new here. I saw the thing you call a die crack and it made me recall seeing those on some of my coins in the past and never new it was an error. It makes sense now to me. If the die had a crack in it that is what would show on the coin. Is there any value to something like that?

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I don't think it is a die crack from the T through the memorial area either, it appears to be a die gouge as it "rides" upon the high areas of die ( fields of the coin after struck).

Jim

11. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Could be a gas bubble on the reverse. Die cracks are not errors although some would like them to be.

12. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

On these copper plated zinc coins it's hard to say what is really wrong with them unless it is something major like a broadstruck or struck off center coin. The problem is with the copper plating it is bad for coming loose from the zinc core then bubbling up and causing all kinds of things to go wrong with the thin copper plating. look at the L and R in liberty on this coin and see how the plating is causing them to look doubled. some folks would try to call it a doubled die. I don't like these darn zinc coins.

13. ska69

ska69 Member

I tend to think any deviation from the standard design of a coin created by imperfections during the minting process prior to the coin being circulated is an error coin. It's kinda black and white if you ask me.

14. Kelly wilkins

Kelly wilkins New Member

I have a 1996 that has the ib that's u can see but there smooth to the feel same with the 95. Are they errors that is gona bring bucks? It's in unc small blemishes would say 65

15. Kelly wilkins

Kelly wilkins New Member

I have a 1996 that has the ib that's u can see but there smooth to the feel same with the 95. Are they errors that is gona bring bucks? It's in unc small blemishes would say 65

16. Kelly wilkins

Kelly wilkins New Member

Sorry it printed it twice

17. 210 Nando

210 Nando New Member

I found a penny with the letter A stamped on it would like to know more about it 1995

18. Joel Brachtl

Joel Brachtl New Member

O found a 1959 D,with out the L,on liberty not ever priented.?????? Worth anything??

Draft saved Draft deleted