1995-P Washington Quarter - Doubled Motto?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by nascartrekkie3, Jun 25, 2005.

1. nascartrekkie3

nascartrekkie3 New Member

I Found this 1995-P Washington Quarter with what appears to me to be doubling in the motto. I can't find any others like it for this year on any site (so far) Condition is not very good for a '95 - I'd put it at fine, conservatively.

Is this a known error?

I used a scanner to take the image, and rotated the coin a couple of different ways so that the light would hit it differently and show details better. Hope it helps.

Value?

Thanks,
    Nascartrekkie3

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I would guess that it is Machine doubbling...not worth anything much

I'll move this over to the Error forum and see if anyone over there knows more than I do!!

Speedy

4. lawdogct

lawdogct Coin Collector

Welcome to the forum :)

I'd have to agree with Speedy, though I'm no expert. One quick way to tell is by looking closely at the "lower" set of lettering (ones underneath of the two sets). When they appear flat across the top, shelf like, or looking like stair steps, its usually machine doubling. This means it was struck twice, which is not that rare. Hub doubling, or "double dies" as they are commonly refered to are different. Both sets of letters will be crowned, or rounded at their highest parts.

Hope this helps. Look for a response from Mikediamond as he's our resident error expert.

Desiree26 likes this.
  5. DavidBedoy

DavidBedoy New Member

1995 P quarter missing a 9 after the one, is there any value?

image.jpg
    This as I can tell is 1995 P Quarter but there is no 9 after the 1, the weird thing is that it doesn't looked filled or faded by normal wear. The 9 is not there but everything by it is perfect, I don't know what to make of this quarter? I just found it in my change jar.

Attached Files:

6. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

It is most likely a struck through grease coin, worth a buck or two. You probably should start a new thread, this one is ooooold.:rolleyes:

7. DavidBedoy

DavidBedoy New Member

I'm new to this so I'm not quite sure how or where to go to make or go to another thread:\. I know it might be worn out with grease but it looks kinda idk, different. It's almost like I feel that it might be legit. If its not its okay. Hey can I get some advice please, there is coin shops by my town. What coin should I buy to just start a collection. Nothing tooo crazy, maybe in $35-45 range? I don't trust the sellers, I'd want an American silver coin or maybe a small gold one, I'd probably be willing to go up to like 50-75 dollars if you recommend a really nice gold coin. Silver too but Gold catches my eye more. Yellow gold not white, any nice coin you can give me advice to buy. It will be my first coin and then I will collect more and start a new hobby :). Thank you, ps sorry for the long message.:\

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Like non cents said, it is best to start a separate thread to get the most responses. If it is about an error, use the "Error" forum. If it is about what you should buy, it might be better in "Chat".

With that said, it is very unlikely that you would find ANY gold coin in the $50-75 range unless it was fake. With the price of gold near $1600, even a 1/10th oz. coin would be over $150 just in melt value without even considering any numismatic premium.

If you asked 50 people here where you should start, you will probably get 50 different answers. My suggestion would be to get a copy of the Red Book of United States Coins by R.S. Yeoman to get some ideas. While I don't recommend that you use their price guides, it does contain a wealth of information about every coin that has ever been used or produced in the US since colonial times. Another book you should consider getting is the ANA Grading Standards for United States Coins. Both of these books are available on the Whitman Books online site.

Like most hobbies, knowledge is the key to keep you from making some costly mistakes.

Chris

9. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

A struck through grease IS "legit". It is an error. It just doesn't command a strong premium when relatively minor.
    If you want to start a new thread, go to the appropriate sub-forum and click "start new thread" near the top of the screen.
    Keep up the hunt!

10. justinberry

justinberry I collect spendables

I may be drunk but this makes no sense to me

Draft saved Draft deleted