1995 D over S Lincoln cent - Thoughts???

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Josh Hetzler, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Josh Hetzler

Josh Hetzler New Member

I recently found this while searching through pennies. It's a 1995 D Lincoln Cent - BU. It has a very clear "S" underneath that is more than a mere "phantom". There is actually raised metal. I haven't seen any others like it. Is this worth sending in for grading? Is this common? Thoughts?

Note: I am aware that in the mid to late 90s, some dies were made with the D or S on them and were inadvertently sent to Philadelphia. Instead of creating new dies, the mint polished the mintmark off the dies. Some dies left a "phantom mint mark" because they had not been 100% wiped away. I have seen a few of these, but they are truly "phantom" and can only be seen on high grade coins and only barely when holding it up and tilting it in certain light. Thus far, these have apparently only been reported on Philadelphia cents with a "D" phantom mintmark. However, I'm not aware of any "S" dies having been polished at the Denver mint, but that seems to be what happened here. Moreover, this one shows much more than a "phantom" mintmark. It's actually a clearly visible raised trace of an S. That's my speculation on this. Haven't ever seen one reported.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

its just a plating issue, RPM's no longer exist after 1990, so a 1995 d over s is impossible,, starting 1990 mint marks are made with the die, no more hand punching them..

Jdiablo30, jester3681 and paddyman98 like this.
  4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I think its a combination of an auspiciously placed die chip and some spotting/toning that gives your eyes the impression of an S. The brain tries to make patterns and sense where there often isn't any.

I don't think you have a D/S. If you did, that would be major news, and you should send it to Wexler at CONECA for authentication.

jester3681 and paddyman98 like this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

o_O

Forget it guys.. this one is not going to accept our responses.. I feel it in my bones! :bored:

6. Josh Hetzler

Josh Hetzler New Member

Haha. No, I may be wrong in my "speculation". I just believed it would be helpful to provide all the information I had found relating to this, which may or may not provide a plausible alternative explanation. I welcome opinions which may be more informed than mine, which is the reason I posted this.

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

My eyes aren't the best, but my brain tells me that is not an S lurking back there.

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The D and S master hubs were MADE in Philadelphia. After a sufficient number of D mint master dies were made the D was ground off the master hub and it was used to create "Plain" master dies. Improper grinding of the mintmark resuted in the "phantom D and S" cents but they all came from modified D master hubs.

Kirkuleez likes this.
  9. Josh Hetzler

Josh Hetzler New Member

That's helpful to know. So you don't think this could be an "S phantom"? Side note: here's some slightly different angles. It's tough to get good pictures. You can see why this one is so baffling to me.

Attached Files:

10. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I remember a thread like this sometime last year and the mint mark looked identical. Either this is the same coin, or it had to be made by a die, plating issues would be pretty implausible. I would suspect that it is a die chip.

11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I really don't see a phantom S.. looks more like a small lowercase z. I suspect it might be a Plating Bubble by the looks of this picture you provided
    ds.JPG

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    eric6794 likes this.
  12. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

it's a plate blister. looks cool but nothing more

paddyman98 likes this.
  13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

14. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Makes sense, but it doesn't seem to apply to an active Denver die. We know it can't be an S mint mark - "phantom S" on a Denver die is more a euphemism than a descriptive term - so in this case it seems likely that it's just another manifestation of how poorly zinc and copper get along. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted