1995 D Error Penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by chris jarrell, Feb 19, 2021.

1. chris jarrell

chris jarrell Active Member

I came across a 1995 D penny where the date appears to be moved to the right a little with the zinc underneath showing. Forgive me for poor quality pictures. The zinc is bright and crisp to the left of each letters in liberty. The T and E in United on the reverse appears to be doubled at the top also. Sorry, no pics of it. Is this considered an error?

Attached Files:

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I found a pic that looks like the 1995 DDO....

9d6904f1d55407e1ffff8930ffffe41e.jpg

calling @paddyman98

capthank likes this.
  4. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

It looks like ejection doubling to me...a form of Machine Doubling.
    It's doesn't add any value, it's very common.
    Showing a sharp picture of the whole coin will often help us diagnose things too.
    Calling all Doubling experts?!!

yakpoo likes this.
  5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

6. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

..it’s called “split plate doubling”...Spark

@Kentucky ...sorry, man...I posted 3 microseconds after you...

7. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

I stand corrected...got my terminology mixed up... ejection doubling causes a different type of damage entirely.

yakpoo, Kentucky and SensibleSal66 like this.
  8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It was 3.44 by my atomic stopwatch, but rounded down, you're right, it's 3 on the nose. :)

Spark1951 and Kentucky like this.
  9. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

...whereas, based on the half-life of a cesium atom (the Naval Observatory Atomic Clock)...it’s close enough for govt. work, but with my luck it would end up 4 and I would get a demerit for being late...tough crowd!…Spark

John Skelton and eddiespin like this.
  10. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

hey chris jarrell there's nothing wrong with your pictures, there really good. your coins shows split-plate doubling, keep the coin for reference since your new to coin collecting. good luck and welcome to CT.

chris jarrell and Oldhoopster like this.
  11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Well if that happened they’d lose at the hearing because there’s no way my clock is wrong. It’s state of the art and I keep it wound every day. The numbers and hands even glow in the dark! :)

jamor1960, John Skelton and Spark1951 like this.
  12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

@chris jarrell your question has been answered. Good eye and your photos are good, but . . . here I go again with my advice on posting photos.
    You should try to post straight on shots, in focus, FULL IMAGE photos (after you upload your photo, two buttons appear: Thumbnail and Full Image, click Full Image and your photo appears full size on your post and is easily enlarged by clicking on it). Photograph coins on neutral backgrounds like black, grey, or white. Crop out superfluous background so just the coin shows, and post photos with correct orientation so members don't have to turn their computer in some awkward fashion to view it properly. While it isn’t always necessary, it is nice to show both the obverse and reverse, even if your question is just about one side. Members can often give more valuable information having both sides to evaluate. Add close ups of areas you have questions about and make your questions as definitive as possible so we know what you are asking for. And try to have the best lighting possible to show the most favorable photo of the coin. Hope this helps in the future. Good luck

mike estes and chris jarrell like this.
  13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Common zinc Cent with split plate doubling. Another form of NAV doubling.

chris jarrell likes this.
  14. chris jarrell

chris jarrell Active Member

Thanks everyone for your help and advise on my photography. I will definitely do it better. Thanks again.

Draft saved Draft deleted