1995-D DDO Penny?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by chappell28, Aug 16, 2016.

1. chappell28

chappell28 Member

This penny looks like it could be 1995-D 1¢ WDDO-001 (from http://www.doubleddie.com/506234.html) to me, but I've been wrong every other time so far so I look forward to all your input!

Tue Aug 16 17-38-44.jpg
    Tue Aug 16 18-15-31.jpg
    Tue Aug 16 18-16-49.jpg Tue Aug 16 18-17-43.jpg Tue Aug 16 18-16-03.jpg Tue Aug 16 18-15-55.jpg Tue Aug 16 17-34-53.jpg Tue Aug 16 17-33-19.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Stoneman2

Stoneman2 New Member

Sorry but this is not a Doubled Die. The size of the design elements are still normal . You will see these type of lines form on the numbers and letters as the die ages

4. chappell28

chappell28 Member

Okay. Thanks.

Then let me ask this question: Even though the coin is too damaged to see the separation, would this second 1968-D be indicative of being a 1968-D WWHO-001?

Side by side with another 1968-D:
    Tue Aug 16 20-57-14.jpg Tue Aug 16 20-58-18.jpg
    Tue Aug 16 21-00-03.jpg Tue Aug 16 20-59-29.jpg

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Yours is not a Doubled Die. These images are all from a 1995-D DDO.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Actually the coin you are showing here is from Philly, Not Denver. Huge Difference.

8. Collecting Nut

You are correct, I pasted the 1995. Here is the 1995-D. Still not a Doubled Die.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

tomfiggy likes this.
  9. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

I want one of those!

10. Stoneman2

Stoneman2 New Member

You and I both !

tomfiggy likes this.
  11. King_George_Va

King_George_Va Active Member

12. King_George_Va

King_George_Va Active Member

How do you get those great photos??

13. chappell28

chappell28 Member

I've been using a $28 USB microscope from Amazon with a $6 flexible lamp from Family Dollar; if I had to buy it all over again, I'd pick a microscope with better resolution than 640x480, but it's better than nothing.

Since my last post, I changed bulbs to a smaller watt "clear" bulb and have had much better results. Reduced glare makes it much easier to see what's going on.

That's the "Best of" doubled die, true -- but I was thinking something like WDDO-2, which is pictured as the following:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Much less pronounced.

However, thank you guys very much for the information and giving me a lot to chew on -- threads like these may seem mundane for you all, but they help someone like me learn a lot and allow me to be much more discerning in the future.

In retrospect, I agree that these coins have worthless (or no) doubling. Just wanted to clear some things up. ;)

14. Collecting Nut

And that is how we all learn. :)

15. robec

robec Junior Member

You probably should have said so in your opening sentence instead of

16. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

I like those minor hard to see doubled dies. It is a challenge to find them for sure. The 1990's Denver doubled dies are very scarce. The Denver crew has better die makers, and quality control. I have been searching at least 3 boxes (5 usually) per month for 3 years and have only found 1 1990's DDR, and no DDO's. Yours is just a normal cent. I have found more of the 1980's Denver DDO's, and 1970, 1960's.

17. rickyc

rickyc Member

Can you tell me more about your set-up? I assume it plugs into an iPhone or IPad. It takes great close-ups but what do you use for photoing entire coins.? I am really interested in getting started with coin photos but don't want to buy an expensive SLR and lens set-up. This looks like the real deal.

Thanks - Rick

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Stevearino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted