1994P Kennedy double ear?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Zzyzzyth, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Zzyzzyth

Zzyzzyth Junior Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Not a D/Die more like MD

4. atrox001

atrox001 Senior Member

That looks like MDD (Machine Damaged Doubling), not a doubled die...he should know that and not sell those on Ebay as a doubled die.

Larry Nienaber

5. Zzyzzyth

Zzyzzyth Junior Member

I wondered about him using "double die" (hint #1) in the title and contacted him. He said "I know it's doubled, I don't which one". Also notice he had a no return policy (hint #2).

6. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I've dealt with this seller before and believe him to be honest. A little lacking in knowledge but honest.

Since the pictures are not too revealing, I sent an email asking if he'd consider having either Wiles or Wexler evaluate the coin and await his response.

7. Zzyzzyth

Zzyzzyth Junior Member

Glad to hear you have had a positive experience with this dealer. He does have a positive feedback rating. He had a couple of other coins I was looking at when I noticed this. He describes some of his other errors as if he knows what he's talking about, so this struck as me as kind of odd that he knew of clashes, strikethroughs, sintered planchets, etc but not a doubled die.

8. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Feedback on ebay can fool the best of us.ebay change there rule like I change my sock!

9. 19Lyds

Yes, he also has a tendency to confuse strike doubling with true doubling.
    However, my email exchange with him states that he is considering submitting one of these to James Wiles for validation. I also encouraged him to consider joining CONECA.

10. atrox001

atrox001 Senior Member

You guys are beating a dead horse with this one. This is strike doubling (MDD), so very common on half dollars from the early 90's...so very common on Ebay also.

Larry Nienaber

11. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

Out of 1000 halves, i would say I see this kind of machine doubling on at least 200 coins. Very common and identified by the seller incorrectly.

Feedback is ridiculous on eBay since most buyers of errors and die varieties have little idea of what they are looking at. They therefore give a dealer a good feedback rating based upon their own (the buyers) lack of knowledge. The buyer believes the seller and lets it go at that.

Dig around on eBay and locate the sellers that know what they are doing. You can lose your shirt if you don't know what you are looking at and simply go by the sellers description or feedback.

OK...off my soapbox:) but I've seen too many ripoffs lately on eBay and the shopping channels. It gets under my skin:)

Have Fun,
    Bill

12. 19Lyds

Which is the exact and only reason I suggested the seller ship one off to James Wiles. We are nobodies with nobody opinions which most ebay sellers interpret incorrectly. However, get a respected opinion and perhaps the seller can learn and then offer better opinions on his products.
    It doesn't take an experienced variety collector long to see the difference between machine doubling and true doubling but the wrong approach with some ebay sellers can turn them off to good advice.
    I've dealt with this fellow before and feel that he is honest in his opinions (regardless of how incorrect he may be) but lumping him in with true scam artists is not an approach which will benefit him nor the eBay community. In other words, I honestly believe that this seller does not know the difference.

Education and knowledge sharing is the key to understanding die varieties.

Yes, there are scammers out there, I just don't think that this fellow is one of them.

13. foundinrolls

I don't see that I said anything personal about this particular seller. I posted general advice that applies to all sellers and buyers.

Unless a seller knows what he or she is looking at though, a coin should not be sold on eBay and advertised incorrectly.

14. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Speaking about TV Host

FIR CK this out
    http://www.cointalk.com/t90397/

15. foundinrolls

Hi Jello,

Thanks,
    Bill

16. 19Lyds

In a perfect world perhaps.

17. Carlos Arriaga

Carlos Arriaga Senior Member

Hellow every-body I'm coming back to the train again. Just checked that E-bay post and the Re-strike is very clear no only one time, but two xtra shots, in line going up can be seen at least 3 ears.

Draft saved Draft deleted