1994 quarter is this die deterioration ?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by shy, Aug 23, 2013.

1. shy

shy Member

Is this considered die deterioration , md, or something else image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

this is from a die with severe deterioration , I have one just like yours that I'm keeping . some of these that are severe like this may be worth a little.
    The one I have may be a little more extreme than this one. would it be ok for me to add a photo of it in this thread?

4. shy

shy Member

I'm having such a difficult time decerning the differences in worthless doubling to true doubled dies. I read the literature and have photos .... But they really all look the same to me ... With the exception of the 1955 penny. They seem so similar . Even many of the md photos next to the true dd... I just can't tell the difference... I don't see it. I read how they are minted ... Lol.. What am I missing ? Is this a common thing or is thier a secret method. I really don't want to come across as annoying. I have so many photos of coins that I want to post to ask questions and i feel embarrassed ... That I just don't seem to be able to connect the dots... If that makes sense. Long story short , is this that difficult and complex or am I an idiot?

5. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

don't worry so much about learning how to tell the difference between a real doubled die and the almost worthless forms of MD doubling. this is something that takes a while to learn. the coins that have die detoriation does look really close to being a doubled die and is sometimes confusing to error experts so don't feel bad about it , you will learn as time goes by.

6. shy

shy Member

thank you:)

7. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

It takes a lot of time to understand. I would recommend visting the site doubleddie.com and reading "how dies are made", "doubled dies", and "worthless doubling".

randrace likes this.
  8. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

and no reason to feel embaressed about posting photos and asking questions,,

rascal likes this.
  9. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

Dont feel embarrassed. Asking questions is one of the best ways I learn. I have looked back on some of my first threads and some recent ones and thought, "Man, that was a waste of time." Then I think about how many people look at these threads. If one of my "dumb" threads helped me and one other person, I feel like I have accomplished something. Also, I know you have probably heard this before, but when you find one it will jump out at you. Pictures help, but pictures don't do these justice. When you have the actual 3D object in your hand, you'll know it. Good luck and ask away! These folks on here are great at helping.

randrace and rascal like this.
  10. shy

shy Member

I'm very sorry but yes please post the photo.... Very curious to see

Draft saved Draft deleted