1994 penny worse doubling ever

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jesse P, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

yes mike i will talk to you and let you examine the coin take photos and use in coin world if you wish.my email is banshee098@hotmail.com i can give details there or by phone.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

well what do you make of this?i cant find anything about it anywere.mike i am sending to you asap to look at it.i just want it back ok?lol

4. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

They will give it back to you. I actually sent a coin off to Mike Diamond's counter part a little over a week ago so I understand the feeling that you are going through :)

hope it turns out well for you, best of luck,

Shrek

5. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

thank you you guys are very kind on here and helpfull.like a big family.i just never saw this or read about it.dont know any value reasons for the error or anything.but im sure mike will find out for me.:)

6. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

No, I haven't written an article on this topic.

7. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

ok i sent my coin off to mike i hope its a wonderfull find.one problem,i cant find any info on this mistake or how it could happen?i looked for 6 hrs straight and have not seen one coin like it?

8. mikediamond

It would be subsumed under the general heading of "die wear", "die deterioration", or "die deterioration doubling".

9. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

I am glad that this got worked out:) Mike does the "Collector's Clearinghouse" column in CW. He is a major authority on error coins.

I'll look forward to hearing about what this coin might be.

Bill

10. Zzyzzyth

Zzyzzyth Junior Member

If it is indeed "design creep", would that make it valuable? And, if so, why?

Unless I've completely misunderstood, I didn't think die deterioration carried a premium.

11. mikediamond

From improved photos I've been sent, it appears that we're only dealing with letter elongation and an extension of those letters onto the design rim. In the worst cases of design creep, the design is actually cut off. Think of what happens with the end of a well-used chisel. The butt end expands into a mushroom shape. That's more or less what happens to a die so affected (although far less extreme).

I never said that the level of design creep seen in the 1994 cent was valuable. It's just interesting, at least to me. Now, if anyone has any U.S. or foreign examples of very severe design creep where the design is actually cut off along a 360 degree circle, let me know.

12. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

13. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

14. Zzyzzyth

Zzyzzyth Junior Member

I know you didn't say it was valuable, I was just asking if it was. Anytime an expert takes interest, it gets my attention, too. I think the coin is interesting as well.

15. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

View attachment untitled.bmp not only does the words creep up and some go clear to the edge of the lip and over they are all doubled and very doubled on the d s and t

16. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

17. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

18. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

if you guys click the pic save it in your pics you can zoom in and see all the doubling perfect.it doesnt show in these pics that well but when seen large scale some of the letters are doubled 3 times insted of just two

19. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

20. mikediamond

All I get on enlargement is horrible pixilation. From the most recent set of photos it's now looking like a conventional case of die deterioration in which a ridge forms just inside the design rim.

21. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

yes now that i look at the photos and remember looking at it it has like were the coin should have its ridge the letters elongate up over the there is another ridge on the edge with a little strip of copper that was stamped on the ridge and folded back over the original ridgeand the letters in america clim on top of the extra material on the folded edge.there is a slight gap in the rig near america you can see because some of the copper was pushed over on the original edge and fold back overlaping it slightly.then the words were elongated and then stretched ontothe old ridge and also on the new folded ridge.it is definalty strange.but i trust mikes observations because i dont have a clue.as soon as he recieves it he will let us know.thanks everyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted