1994 Mexican 1 oz Gold Libertad

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Hoocoin, May 5, 2021.

1. Hoocoin

Hoocoin New Member

Hi I'm new to posting, but I've been reading and learning from CoinTalk for a long time. I picked up this recently and I wanted to get people's thoughts on value. Mexico only minted 1,000 that year, and then suspended production for a while. Here are the mintages for the 90s for the 1 oz:

1991 109193
    1992 46281
    1993 73881
    1994 1000

As you can see in the pictures, it's not BU. It was like this when the prior owner acquired it many years ago. My guess is somebody had it in their pocket or something similar. Tested correctly on my Sigma, calipered correctly, weight is right.

I reached out to Heritage, they were unable to find any record of any sales of the 1994. I have also researched and come up emptyhanded.

What do folks think? Not much value over melt, or a sizeable premium? Is this something a gold libertad collector would jump on? I appreciate any thoughts.

Attached Files:

• Obv.jpg
      Obv.jpg
      File size:
      25.5 KB
      Views:
    • Rev.jpg
      Rev.jpg
      File size:
      20.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I would say what regular 1oz coins are going for around $1900-$2000.

Hoocoin likes this.
  4. ddddd

ddddd Member

I see that there is only one certified at PCGS (MS 65)
    https://www.pcgs.com/cert/40464513

And only two at NGC (MS 64 and MS 66)
    https://www.ngccoin.com/census/world/mexico-1905-to-date/sc-216/1-onza/

Apmex has a placeholder page for the coin:
    https://www.apmex.com/product/85059/1994-mexico-1-oz-gold-libertad-bu

Given the rarity, I could see it being worth a decent premium to melt, especially for someone looking to complete a set. Those that don't care about rarer dates will say it is worth melt but I would try to explore other options before selling for melt (might even be worth auctioning).

You can contact Apmex and see if they can provide any information regarding pricing.

Hoocoin likes this.
  5. norantyki

norantyki CoinMuncher

Libertads both silver and gold bring surprising premiums these days. Definitely worth more than spot, but I also would not necessarily trust that mintage figure, as Mexican mint stats are notoriously unreliable.

Hoocoin likes this.
  6. Hoocoin

Hoocoin New Member

Very good point on the unreliability of the mintage figure. I suppose the mitigant is that there seem to be less than a handful of 1994s showing up across the web as compared to relatively many for the supposed larger mintage dates.

7. Thirdcoastmetals

Thirdcoastmetals New Member

I’d be interested in purchasing

8. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

@Thirdcoastmetals it is against forum rules to offer to buy or sell on the regular forum pages. Send the member a private message.
    Welcome to CT

Draft saved Draft deleted