1994 Matte Finish Nickel from Denver

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by shaw2k8, Aug 20, 2008.

1. shaw2k8

shaw2k8 New Member

Call me crazy, but I have been unable to find any documentation anywhere about matte finish nickels being produced in Denver in '94. Plenty of references and images on the net to "P" versions. Can someone help me out?

I found it in circulation, hence the wear on the finish.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Howdy shaw - Welcome to the Forum !!

You can;t find any info about a matte finish made in Denver because there weren't any. They wer only made in Philly. But what makes you think that is a matte finish ? Looks like an ordinary nickel to me.

4. walterallen

walterallen Coin Collector

I'm curious, what is it about this coin that makes you think it is a matte finish? If a matte 1994D was produced then surely it was only distributed in mint sets, unless I am mistaken.

The circulation that this coin has seen would make it difficult at best to determine the original finish.

Good Luck and Keep on Collecting!!!

Allen

5. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

This coin is being advertized as a matte finish.

[​IMG]

6. jeankay

jeankay Coin Hoarder

Hi Rockdude,

I am looking at my Jefferson nickel complete uncirculated and proof. The Jefferson nickel I have for 1994 P looks more like a 'matte' finish compared to the shiny finish of the 1994D. These both came from a mint uncirculated set.
    If I compare the 'matte-like' finish of the 94D to other nickels in other years then look very much like it.
    I think a lot of people call the finish 'matte' because they believe buyers will be fooled into thinking it is rare and pay more.

jeankay

7. shaw2k8

shaw2k8 New Member

The reason that I am asking about it being matte finish is that it is yellow (sans wear the yellow is wearing). I have other 1994 nickels that are normal -- I guess the scan isn't reflecting the difference. I will scan it again with a normal nickel next to it.

Maybe someone altered it, but it does not appear to be any type of marker.

8. nickelman

nickelman Coin Hoarder

Hey shaw2k8,

Welcome to CoinTalk. I'm the one that directed you here from Omnicoin.
    From the picture this looks to be a normal Denver mint nickel, the color difference could be from a number of different reasons but I'm sure it is a regular business strike.
    Hope you stick around CoinTalk.

9. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

That coin appears to be a matte finish. In 1994, the Philadelphia mint produced matte finish coins and they were sold to collectors. They were not meant for circulation. Only the Philadelphia mint produced them...there were none produced in Denver (like your nickel).

10. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

The matte finished nickles were produced by the Philly mint to be included in the special Jefferson 3 pc. sets , each set included a Unc Jefferson dollar commemerative a 1976 $2 note plus the special matte finish , I beieve this was the only way to get them as I don't think they were included in the Mint sets of that year , though I might be wrong .
    rzage

11. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I believe that is correct. I don't have my red book handy (I'm in the process of moving) but that seems right. I think they also released one a few years later too...but I can't quite remember.

12. rzage

You're right they released another in 1997-P .
    rzage

13. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

This is correct. I have one. I will not include the photo of the packaging or $2 bill.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

:D

Mike Davis likes this.
  14. rzage

15. Crystal 3

Crystal 3 New Member

[​IMG] Hello I have a 1994 D nickel that has a sandblasted matte finish...everything I've read said these don't exist?

16. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT Crystal. How about a pic of I our nickle?

Draft saved Draft deleted