1994 D Silver Penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by lah95687, Jul 8, 2017.

1. lah95687

lah95687 New Member

I found this in my husband's collection and it did not look like anything I had ever heard about before. Please take a look and tell me what I have. Thank you for your help. silver penny front.jpg silver penny.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It looks like it has been plated. What does it weigh?

Chris

Estevan el Chivo and Kevin Mader like this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I'd bet Littleton Coin Co. might have had something to do with this (plating), but it could have also been a marketing item from a TV hawker.

Tyler Graton likes this.
  5. lah95687

lah95687 New Member

Not sure what it weighs, I will weigh it. But I did do the magnet test and it does stick to a magnet.

6. lah95687

lah95687 New Member

It weighs 3.1 grams

7. lah95687

lah95687 New Member

Anyone Know what this is??

8. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

It sticking to a magnet confuses me.

9. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

It is plated. We did things like this in my chemistry class last year to pennies. We plated them to be silver and gold colored. You do not have anything rare or special. It is worth one cent. I hope this helps @lah95687.

10. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Don't let it confuse you. The plating is magnetic and therefore makes the coin magnetic.

Mountain Man likes this.
  11. Tyler Graton

Tyler Graton Well-Known Member

You from New Hampshire?

steve westermeier likes this.
  12. Tyler Graton

Tyler Graton Well-Known Member

Copper coins, and silver aren't magnetic haha. But that weight is about what it would make if it were plated being a zinc penny I'd say. It would be pretty hard to say what else it could be.

13. lah95687

lah95687 New Member

Thank you for all your responses

14. SorenCoins

I know the experiment you are talking about. With sodium hydroxide solution and zinc. The zinc coats the copper making "silver" and when heated forms bronze, which appears gold when un-oxidized. However it could be thickly plated in steel or chrome which would make it magnetic. File the rim a bit, see if the copper is unveiled underneath.

-SC

15. SorenCoins

I just realized, its 1994-D not 1974-D lol. :banghead: Then the plating must be thick to bring it from 2.42 to 3.1. Thick chromed or galvanized steel, silly me.

16. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

No, not from N.H. but I have a time share on the big lake and visit every fall. Love it up there. Did get to Littleton last year but too late in the day to visit Littleton Coin Co. Maybe this year. Also need to visit the Saint Gaudens estate there too.

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It is a nickel plated cent. Nickel is highly magnetic but the plating doesn't add significantly to the weight of the coin.

SorenCoins likes this.
  18. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

It's plated, as mentioned numerous
    times above.

19. kevin basinger

kevin basinger New Member

i have 1994 silver penny and it weighs 2.5 grams and is not magnetic

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Well since the weight is right, your cent is either (in order of most likely to least likely) plated with a silver colored metal other than nickel (very likely), has had the copper plating stripped off (very likely), or was struck on an nonplated zinc planchet (very UNlikely)

21. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Sparkles and I think that coin is neato, shiny coins are Sparkles favorite snack, watch out! Seriously though keep that coin and start a plated collection. That is a nice example that could be your set anchor. Reed.
    01765D1F-21BA-46EA-ACC3-8EDF22598D6B.gif

Draft saved Draft deleted