1994-D "silver" colored penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by bugo, Oct 29, 2013.

1. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I recently found a 1994-D penny in circulation. It is a shiny silverish color, much like a shinier 1943 steel penny. I assumed it was just a penny that somebody had plated, but I took it to the local coin shop and the owner said it was an authenic error coin. How rare is it and what is it worth? It's in very good condition, probably BU.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Post pics so we can see.

4. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I'll post a pic when I get home.

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

6. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Whatever it is, it's a keeper. Couldn't beat the price.

jello likes this.
  7. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Did the owner make an offer? Did he give an opinion on value? If he didn't do either of those things, I'm sure he didn't tell you it was an authentic error.

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Even if he did make an offer that doesn't mean he knows what he is talking about. Most coin shop owners are not able to recognize errors

Kentucky likes this.
  9. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

Conder:) I'm glad that you said that ;)

10. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I trust this guy, who has been dealing in coins for decades, to recognize an error when he sees one. He held it in his hand and looked at it up close. None of you have.

11. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

You should still post pics...I've been to dealers who claim to know errors, but in reality know very little about them. He may have dealt in general coins for decades, but when it comes to errors, I've found most dealers to be lacking in knowledge of the field.

It could easily be an unplayed cent as part of a science experiment, and I would say that the majority of most collectors may not know how to tell the difference in a true unplated cent or a damaged one.

Again, you should post pictures.

12. rickmp

Well, now, there you have it. If you are so sure of your dealer friend, why did you come here?

13. rickmp

Agreed, but if he's so positive it's an error, and 'knows an error when he sees one', he should be able to put a ball-park value on it.

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Cent struck in a dime planchet?

At any rate, pictures would be most helpful to the community. :)

16. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

It could also be silver plated outside of the Mint. Millions of plated coins have been sold on shopping channels over the years. They are, of course worthless since they are just altered coins.

In any case, an image of the coin would give us a chance to see if the coin is truly an unplated cent error, a cent struck on a dime planchet, a science experiment, or a post-mint plated coin. Each of these has its own distinctive "look".

It would be helpful to see the coin. As stated above, many dealers don't know what to look for. They'll suggest something is real, you'll send it off to be slabbed and the only thing you get is a coin sent back to you that is not a genuine error combined with less money in your pocket lost in slabbing fees.

17. rickmp

You won't see a picture her because the results would shatter dreams of riches.

18. omahaorange

omahaorange Active Member

I would also think your "dealer friend" would have been more specific as to what is the error, rather than just telling you it was an "authentic error". Can you share that info with us?

19. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I'll post pics later today.

20. NarcissusInc

NarcissusInc New Member

I have one as well, its a bit dirty, but what are the chances of two of them, both out of the same mint?

Attached Files:

21. NarcissusInc

NarcissusInc New Member

And what was his professional opinion? I've got the same coin, and I cant find anything about it on the web- except you.

Draft saved Draft deleted