1993P Cent Mad Die Clash

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by coin-crazy, Nov 20, 2010.

1. coin-crazy

coin-crazy Senior Error Searcher

I found this coin today while roll searching. It looks to be a true minting error.I hope the experts agree with me .Anyways, I was very excited to find it..

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lincolncent

lincolncent Future Storm Chaser Guy

Are the marks incuse (in the coin). A true clash would be outward like the rest of the coin I think. It look like another cent was beat into it from my eyes. Hopefully the experts will bash my brains in again for your sake though. :D :p

4. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

If the letters are raised instead of incuse as Tyler pointed out, then probably a rotated, in collar double strike. It's not a misaligned die clash as an obverse die can't clash with itself(Except for a counter-clash). Nice find if it's a double strike.

5. jallengomez

Actually, the letters are mirror image, so it is not a double strike.

6. coin-crazy

The letters are inward and not rised, if another coin was beat into it, I dnt think you could get that kind of imprint into another coin.Im no expert but it just makes no sense.Even so, why there isn't damage to the up lower part if that theory is correct..

7. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

post mint damage on that one.

8. coin-crazy

Are you sure? Have you seen this kind of thing before? I just want to know what I really found here and not a bunch of guys pulling guess after guess out of a hat ?:mad:

9. jallengomez

If the letters are incuse it's a hammer-job. There is no way for an incuse die to produce incuse letters on the coin. And yes, if you do a search for hammer jobs you'll see that coins like this pop up here all the time.

10. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

More than likely PMD, but anything can happen in the coining chamber at that high of speed...

11. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

12. coop

coop Senior Member

Post mint damage. You can see on the edge of the coin at 3:00 where is was held by something during the brutal attack with another cent and a hammer.

13. atrox001

atrox001 Senior Member

14. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

removed from a 'lucky penny' holder.

15. Socom

Socom New Member

I have to go with Post Mint Damage.

Draft saved Draft deleted