1993 Quarter DDO

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by tommy cent, Oct 27, 2013.

1. tommy cent

tommy cent Active Member

In not asking is this a DD cause I already know I'm just
    Showing what I came across today in Maryland today.

Attached Files:

Ernesto Pulido likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

And what if I said that it isn't a doubled die? Because that is not hub doubling. No notching, flat doubling, takes away from the devices rather than adds to them...that isn't what a doubled die does, Tommy.

4. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Tommy non cents is right , this is a strong case of MD . I have been finding quite a few like yours in the years of 93 and 94 . I have a 94 D here somewhere that may be a little bit stronger MD doubling than your 83 coin. these MD coins looks a little similar to a hub doubled die but they are not a doubled die.

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

There is, of course, nothing wrong with showing one of your coins, but particularly when not asking a question, care should be taken not to refer to is as being something it clearly isn't, which is this case would be a DDO.

6. tommy cent

tommy cent Active Member

Lol... You don't see the notching in the T????? Also the
    I from IN is split straight down the middle..
    I guess Fred Weinberg is wrong then have a good day..
    Like I said how could You tell me what a dd and some
    Of you guys post your own coins asking whether
    They are dd? Smh...... Have a nice evening..

7. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Tommy cent you need to take it easier until you learn more about double die coins and the many forms of the almost worthless MD coins. I know for a fact Fred didn't say this quarter was a real doubled die. Fred probably knows as much or more about error and variety coins than anyone still alive. I was buying variety and error coins from him over 35 years ago and he knew a lot about them then. the first coins I bought from him I paid .50 or .75 cents each and now they are worth over a hundred dollars each. all of us on the forum are trying to help you learn. if you don't agree with someone on here then put the coin away until you learn more about coins.

non_cents likes this.
  8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Comes in with an attitude.

Leaves with an attitude.........

furryfrog02 and non_cents like this.
  9. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Oy vey...
    I doubt Fred would have called your coin a doubled die, because it isn't one. Absolutely nothing shown in your pictures points to it being as such.

10. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

Pretty wide stuff.

11. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

It's Not a doubled die. It is also not machine doubling. This is die deterioration doubling at its finest.

jay4202472000 likes this.
  12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Please, come out from under the bridge.

13. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly.

14. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

There is no doubled die here. As foundinrolls said, this is classic die deterioration for the Washington Quarter series.

15. TypicalCreepahx

TypicalCreepahx Hello There! ( ͡⚆ ͜ʖ ͡⚆)

We're just trying to help. What do you expect us to say? Just lie to you and say its a double die even though ( according to our experts ) Its not? If you don't want to be corrected than don't assume its something, and even if we have disagreements none of us said you had to agree.

16. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hey Tommy Cent this might help - Definition: Die deterioration doubling is a form of image doubling on coins that is often confused with true doubled die coins. Portions of the coin, usually the date and inscriptions, appear to be doubled, just like on a doubled die specimen, but upon close examination it becomes evident that the effect of doubling is actually caused by die fatigue and deterioration. Rather than seeing the clear, sharp doubling of the letter or number thus affected, you will see a mushy sort of "shadow" image, usually in the direction towards the rim of the coin.

17. foundinrolls

I'll just add that on coins such as nickels and copper-nickel clad coins, the hardness of the metal vs. the steel of the dies can cause doubling to be created that effects the outer edges of the entire letters. You'll see a doubled effect around the perimeter of entire letters.

18. AWORDCREATED

This:
    "around the perimeter of entire letters" assuming you mean entire perimeter ....

seems to contradict this:

Towards the rim - assuming you mean radially outward from the center (only) although literally any direction from everywhere on either face is 'towards the rim'.

paddyman98 likes this.
  19. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

paddyman98, green18 and non_cents like this.
  20. foundinrolls

There is no contradiction if you read. It says "USUALLY in the direction towards the rim of the coin.

Also, a point to be made is that die deterioration doubling can appear differently on coins made from different alloys.

On cents, we often see die deterioration doubling in a direction radiating from the center towards the rim. On post 1964 dimes, quarters and halves (copper-nickel clad coinage), we can see a doubling effect around the entire letter(s). On nickels, the doubling can get so bad as to almost fool one into the coin being a doubled die. You even see notches and groove-like effects.

Now for some perspective. In several major coin magazines, major coin dealers are currently running ads. One ad indicates that since 1995, doubled dies no longer can be made and therefore no longer can be found. In another ad, a dealer indicates that he thinks he sees a repunched 3/3 on a Walking Liberty half.

Of course, I don't need to explain the post 1995 doubled die ad since we know hundreds of legit doubled dies have been found on coins dated after 1995.

As for the repunched 3 in the date of a W.L. half, anyone who knows what he or she is talking about knows that repunched dates ended in the early 1900s when the dates were completely engraved into master dies because fully dated designs were on the master hubs. Even when partial dates were changed , the dates were engraved and not punched into anything.

Coins like the 1943/1942 P Jefferson nickel and the 1942/1941 (P and D)dimes are doubled dies where completed but different dated hubs were used to impress the effected dies. These coins are not "Repunched" 3 over 2 or 2 over 1 as many people think.

The problem now is that there are people who really have no clue on certain things trying to sound like they have a clue. Even major dealers are wrong since they don't have a day to day relationship with the error and die variety portion of our hobby.

I am not one of those people regardless of what some people on this forum are trying to make things appear like. I DO have a clue.

Also, before it gets asked again....When I say "WE", I am referencing those of us that are published in the field of numismatic errors and die varieties. Those who actually do have a clue.

21. AWORDCREATED

And that furry lil marsupial in your pocket :D

Ernesto Pulido likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted