1993 penny. close or wide

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Sheila Ruley, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Sheila Ruley

Sheila Ruley The short blonde girl

20151227_132703.jpg 20151227_132635.jpg What do you guys see?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

WAM found on 98-2000. CAM on 92....nothing special with the 93s

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. Sheila Ruley

Ok, thanks.

5. Sheila Ruley

[​IMG]
    VALUABLE PENNIES STILL IN CIRCULATION TODAY
    [​IMG]
    Tattoo Designs, Dreams, News, Technology, Sports, And More(thelyricwriter)712 Followers
    474 Hubs

1943 WHEAT PENNY
    Click thumbnail to view full-size
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    See all 4 photos
    The 1943 copper penny is a very valuable coin. All coins in 1943 were made out of steel because of World War II. A few copper pennies were accidentally produced and a rare coin was born.
    VALUABLE PENNIES OF TODAY
    When I began collecting coins, I was only interested in collecting old coins because I thought they were the only ones that had value to them. Since I began researching coins, I have found out that there are many coins that can still be found in circulation today that are worth a lot of money. After my investigation, I was blown away on how much some of these coins are worth. I couldn't believe it. Now that I am done, I want to share all the valuable coins that are still being found today that might be in your pocket change right now. On to the list.

1943 Copper Penny

In 1943, all copper pennies were made out of steel. The U.S. Mint decided to use steel instead of copper because they needed the copper for the war. This was at the time World War 2 was going on. A few known coins escaped from the mint made out of copper. There are only a few known to exist but it is believed that there may be more out there. These coins can reach values of $10,000 or more!

1955 Double Die Penny

The 1955 has visible doubling on the front of the penny. You can easily see the doubling if you look at the top of the penny where it says "IN GOD WE TRUST". These pennies are very scarce, but they are more out there somewhere. If you are lucky enough to find one of these coins, the value can range from $1,000 and up. I have seen them go for $4,000-$5,000.

1969 S Double Die Penny

The 1969 S double die penny is another coin that has distinct doubling on the obverse side of the coin. Once again, look at the top of the front coin where "IN GOD WE TRUST" is read. Even though it is very rare, still today, they are being found. The value of this penny ranges in the thousands.

1983 Double Die Penny

The 1983 double die has doubling on the reverse side of the coin, which is the back side. If you look closely, or compare it to another penny from the same year, you can easily notice the doubling. Although this penny is not valued as high as the other pennies above, it still can fetch a value of $250.

1984 Double Ear Penny

In 1984, there were a few pennies that escaped the eye of the mint with doubling seen on Lincoln's ear. If you look very closely to his ear, if you have the right coin, you can clearly see that the ear is doubled. As far as value goes, this penny can be worth a few hundred dollars. The 1997 penny also has had a few that has had doubling on the ear.

1992 Close AM Penny

Find all of your 1992 pennies and look at the back of them. In 1993, all pennies switched to the close AM design. You need to look at the word "AMERICA" on the back. On the 1992, if there is no space between the A and M, then you have a rare coin worth thousands depending on the condition of the coin. On the 1992 penny, there should be a space between the A and M. The value begins near a thousand.

1993 Wide AM Penny

In 1993, the penny switched the A and M in "AMERICA" to a close design. They actually touch. On a few, they still have the old wide AM design. If you can find this one, it can be worth a few hundred dollars to a few thousand depending on the condition. As the others are, this penny is also rare.

1998,1999, and 2000 Wide Am Penny

The 98,99, and 00 penny should have a closed AM design. That is the normal design. However, there are a few that have the wide AM design. The ones with the wide AM are what you want to find. The 2000 penny is the most common of the group and the 1999 is very rare. Values have decreased as over the years because more are being found, but they still offer good profits. You can get anywhere from $5-$70 for the 1998 and 2000. It depends on the condition of your coin. The 1999 can reach a value near $100 or more.

Show Full Article
    Related
    Popular
    Copyright © 2015 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.

Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.

HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.

HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, eBay, Google, and others.

SapphireSilver likes this.
  6. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

7. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

8. Sheila Ruley

Thank you for t that. It really helps.

9. Mistico

Mistico New Member

10. richfo3

richfo3 Member

Hi ladies and gents . A little cofused I thought i had got the WAM CAM sorted but then I look at these two coins both WAM 1968D and 1992 but too look at 1992 looks like close am although it isn't . Is there any defined way to tell them apart? Thanks in advance 1992rev-horz.jpg

11. Sheila Ruley

Yes. You can see the difference. Look at the FG on the bottom right of the Lincoln Memorial. See how close the FG is on the 1968D? Now look at the FG at the bottom of the 1992. This one is a little farther away from the building than the 1968 D. The FG on the 1968 D is almost touching the building where the 1992 is further away. You want the 1992 close AM. The AM on the 1992 close AM will be even farther away from the building than the 1992 wide AM.

SapphireSilver likes this.
  12. richfo3

richfo3 Member

Yes I understand that. what I was saying is how can they both be so different and both be wide WAM's?. Like if I was to hide the AM and you tell me which they were just looking at the FG you would assume 1968D was WAM and the 1992 was CAM. If you get me lol clear as mud as always I am

13. Sheila Ruley

All cents coins were made with the wide AM until 1993. 1993 was the first year they made the close AM. It was by mistake that the 1992 close AM was made.

14. richfo3

richfo3 Member

Aha well that clears that up nicely :) thank you

Sheila Ruley likes this.
  15. Sheila Ruley

Your welcome!

16. Jose chavez

Jose chavez New Member

I found a 19 83 close am penny

17. Sheila Ruley

There is no such thing as a close 1983 cent. The close AM didn't begin until 1993. It is just wear on the coin from age and circulation. The close AM never existed because none of the designs on the AM was never made back then. You want to be looking for a close AM on the 1992 cent.

18. Garys46

Garys46 New Member

I have a 1993D Lincoln memorial full double die both sides close AM cant find anything about it
    [E-mail address removed, see Rules. For private replies, use PM/Conversation instead.]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2017
  19. Steel

Steel New Member

I have a 93 Steel penny is magnetic

20. Maria Thames

Maria Thames New Member

Quote for 1993,,a an m close

21. Brian Winchester

Brian Winchester New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted