1993 D

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Kim Thompson-Tesori, May 6, 2022.

1. Kim Thompson-Tesori

Kim Thompson-Tesori New Member

I hope you see it too, thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2022
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hello. Welcome. I don't see anything out of the ordinary.:confused:

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I see a 1993 D LMC.

5. Kim Thompson-Tesori

What is that?

6. Kim Thompson-Tesori

You don't see the doubling in liberty?

7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Let me just offer this. I am a collector of old coins and am not nearly as well schooled on modern errors as some here on the board….. Beginning in 1982 the Cent changed from copper to zinc with a micro-thin layer of copper. And that presents some anomalies of its own, but they aren’t typically regarded as mint errors. It is quite common to see what appears to be a shadow image on these newer cents due to that thin copper layer….. And I’ll offer this as well. If you truly have doubling on a cent it will be on all the lettering around the coin like the one below. If a die shifts, it affects all the lettering. Think of it like the wheel on a bicycle. The entire wheel turns. This makes the doubling consistent around the coin…… Now again, I’m not the board error expert and hopefully some of the knowledgeable error guys will correct anything wrong that I said here.

F0426056-4A76-471B-930D-1BEDDC86A8AD.jpeg

spirityoda, expat and furryfrog02 like this.
  8. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

It is called split plate doubling with no added value. It happens when the micro thin copper plating moves upon the pressure of the strike and the movement of metal when forming the raised devices, because it is not properly bonded to the zinc core. You will see it a lot on cents from late 1982 and onwards.

9. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

LMC? - Lincoln Memorial Cent

That being said, I see what you are talking about around LIBERTY now that you mention it. As @expat said, what you have is nothing more than a case of split plate doubling. Super common on Zincolns. Real doubling looks like what @Randy Abercrombie posted. Though obviously, it won't always be that pronounced. :)

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Posting like this would help...welcome to CT
    IMG_20220506_115211.jpg

11. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

My opinion only, not split-plate doubling. At normal thickness of 8 microns, striking pressures will tear or stretch the plating revealing the zinc beneath. This coin appears to have a thicker plating, and the striking pressure created a doubling effect without any tearing. I don’t see any zinc showing anywhere like you would see on split-plate doubling, therefore I relegate this to a plating issue.

On the reverse there is a long, extra line below the base of the Memorial. This is also, imo, extra copper plating where a doubling effect has been produced.

I’ve seen and worked with thousands of Zincolns where the plating has split but I don’t see any here.

12. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Spark1951 likes this.
  13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I see cement or something on the reverse. Sakrete, maybe? IDK. I got it on a coin once, though, when I was reinforcing my mailbox post, so I know what it looks like on a coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted