1993 D Missing Clad Layer?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Pennyman Investments, Mar 5, 2015.

1. I came across this as well today at work...did I find a keeper??? 790MEDIA$IMAG1516.jpg 790MEDIA$IMAG1515.jpg

jeremy_elkins likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Need the weight and a picture of the edge.

4. I'll get that to you tonight :)

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Of course, the weight would help, but I'm leaning toward some form of post-mint damage. Note that the rim is not discolored. If it were missing the clad layer, the rim should be the same color as the rest of the coin.

2001-D 50c REV Slab.jpg

jeremy_elkins and tommyc03 like this.
  6. I can see the difference. I'll get the weight on tonight and that should conclude this coins' status.

7. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I'm guessing PMD, I would need weight to be sure but I'm pretty sure it's PMD.

8. The weight is in...2.28g

9. cpm9ball

Normal weight is 2.27 gms, so it isn't missing a clad layer.

Chris

10. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

You know Chris, the more I see this coin, the more excited I get knowing you are gonna decide to send it to me one day! No seriously, that is a spectacular error! I never get tired of seeing it.

11. cpm9ball

Thanks!

Since we get so many threads about missing clad layers, it's a good thing this is an online photo rather than a local coin club. Otherwise, I'd wear the dang thing out.

It means a lot to me because it was the first major error that I got directly from the Mint. Not bad for 68c, huh!

Chris

jay4202472000 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted