1993 D Lincoln Cent with Dash. What's it worth?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by cwebb00001, May 5, 2015.

1. cwebb00001

cwebb00001 Rare One of a Kind.

First I'll apologize for the rough picture. I'm not a photographer. The dash in the words, "In God We Trust" has a raised bump that appears as a dash in the word, "We" of the obverse side. I've had the raised bump tested and it's a solid mass with no air pockets nor trash beneath the laminated copper plating. It comes up as solid as the rest of the coin. My best guess is that this is a dented or chipped die. This can be seen without the aid of a magnifying glass so I'm also guessing this to be a major variety. I'm open to all opinions of, "What's it worth?". Thanks to all in advance.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

It's a plating blister. It's a very common occurrence. Push on it with a toothpick, it'll collapse, proving my answer. Sorry, but it's only worth one cent.

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. cwebb00001

The toothpick test fails. It isn't a plating blister.

5. rickmp

How hard did you push?

Even if it is an error, there would be millions of them.

6. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

its a blister, not all blisters will collapse, plating blisters are hollow, Solid blisters are pushed up by gas under the expanding metal caused by contaminants in the zinc (zinc rot)..

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

8. cwebb00001

The raised bump was tested using an Eddy Current Machine with an open probe. It tested solid with no imperfections. It's as solid as the rest of the coin. My question was, "What's it worth?" I'm already aware of what variety type this is.

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

A Dynamometer? Eddy-current testing uses electromagnetic induction to detect flaws in conductive materials. There are several limitations, among them: only conductive materials can be tested, the surface of the material must be accessible, the finish of the material may cause bad readings, the depth of penetration into the material is limited by the materials' conductivity, and flaws that lie parallel to the probe may be undetectable.

This is a Zinc coated Cent. Might have received a bad reading.

If it is solid it's really not a major find. It's not a clash. I don't think it's a Die Break or Chip. Maybe a slight Planchet Flaw. Can't put a value on something so minor.

10. rickmp

Send it to CONECA for a definitive answer.

11. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

its a blister, worth 1 cent...

12. rickmp

The OP is convinced that he's right and the rest of the world is wrong. There'll be no convincing him that he doesn't have something that will allow him to retire rich.

ken454 likes this.
  13. cwebb00001

That comment was uncalled for. This isn't a forum to harass, demean or belittle other members. I'll ask you to kindly keep these such comments out of the discussion.

14. rickmp

Please don't keep us in the dark. What variety type is it?

15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

An RD 1993-D will get you $12 on the PCGS Price Guide if you pay the submission fee and get it into PCGS plastic at MS66. The plating bubble is a common defect, and would probably even lower that value. It's a plating bubble, and they come in all shapes and sizes.

16. rickmp

I stand by my remark.

17. Derry

Derry Member

If it's a die variety there'll be more of them turn up and they'll all be identical.

18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Possibly worth a ton of money, take it to a coin shop (or more than one) and have the people there examine it and evaluate the value, if you don't trust people on this forum. Let us know how it turns out.

19. sgt23

sgt23 Active Member

I've always been told that gas bubble like this indicated counterfeiting? Is this just on some coins or metals?

20. rickmp

Think about it for a minute or two. What profit is there in counterfeiting 1993 pennies?

21. Pawnmonkey

Pawnmonkey -----so easy even a monkey can do it-----

What profit is there minting pennies?

Draft saved Draft deleted