1993 Bill Clinton Inaugural Silver Medal

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Ethan, May 4, 2014.

1. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

I have been trying to get information on this particular piece for a while. I will try it here and see if anyone knows anything about it.

This is not a political post.

A little history is in order here. When working in Indianapolis in 1992/93, I ran into someone selling these. It is 1 Oz. of silver of this I am pretty sure. I paid $10 for it because I liked it. Now this is where it gets neat and I will try and remember the details. The guy said that he made these and since he owned the dies, he made x number of these for something he was commissioned to do. When done with the regular strikes, he modified the die and minted these. He did not say how many he made but I am pretty sure there where not many of them with this particular modification. I had posted this in another forum a couple of years ago and no one knew anything nor had seen it before.

Any ideas? I know it is at least worth Silver value , $19.xx, but being a bit nostalgic I am wondering if this would be a collectors item to the right person. I do not want to sell it, I am just wondering if I can find more information on it. I have some close ups of the markings etc, maybe someone will recognize these..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

I suppose it's just a novelty made privately by someone who obviously wasn't much of a fan of Clinton (the altered version that is). Never seen it before, nor the original version. As for value, at least much as the silver is worth; someone might pay a little more for nostalgia or novelty's sake. The market for this would probably be people who like collecting political memorabilia rather than coin/medal collectors, if you'd ever expect any more for it than the silver melt value.

The markings are probably actually asserting a trademark or copyright; never seen these on a medal before but I'm sure they're not unheard of. (The "R" might be asserting the depiction of Clinton as a registered trademark.) I don't know if that connects it to any minter specifically though.

Interesting piece. There is a collector's market for political memorabilia and there's quite a long history of such things made in both support and opposition to specific presidents (I have an anti-VanBuren/Jackson HT token in my collection and this could quite arguably be a more modern piece in that type of vein). Clinton being a very recent president this probably doesn't have much value beyond the silver content yet, but in a generation or two, who knows.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  4. Ethan

I could not find one of the 'regular' issues either. Curious piece for sure and I am glad I bought it.

5. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

If nothing else, the silver alone is a good investment lol... Seriously though, Clinton's too recent for the nostalgia and historic factor yet, but political memorabilia starts to gain desirability when it gets a bit older (I'd say 30 years at a minimum, though people even collect George W. Bush and Obama memorabilia for novelty's sake already). Classic political memorabilia had to have been new at some point, after all. The older it gets, the more interesting it becomes, and tends to go up in value because a lot of this kind of stuff doesn't get saved much. Practical considerations aside, it's a neat thing to have, and that's what collecting is all about isn't it?

6. Ethan

Bingo! I just hope to find out more of its story.

7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I'd shoot an email over to Regency Mint just to see if that's who the "R" belongs to. It looks to be a professional job so I certainly don't think somebody minted these in their garage or something. Other than that, I don't have any other ideas. Is it numbered on the edge or are there any other markings? That circle over Clinton's profile also works as a symbol for "no". I wonder what that's about?

Attached Files:

• th.jpg
      th.jpg
      File size:
      4.9 KB
      Views:
  8. Ethan

I will check into that, its a lead...

Oh no, he said he was making some regular ones per a job but since he owned the dies he modified them and made some of is own. At least that is what I remember anyway.

No numbering of any kind, and the circle is what 'he' added. I take it he wasn't a fan but had a job to do I guess. That is what makes it unique I guess. I would like to find one without the circle.

9. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

That is really something. Just to go all out crazy on it, I would email some coin shops in the Indianapolis area along with some coin clubs. I don't know about you but I don't mind people thinking I'm nuts if I can find out the information I'm looking for.

Attached Files:

Pcunix likes this.
  10. Ethan

Well I know this is an old thread, its been 20 years now but this one still makes me laugh. I am glad I have it as the Trump medals are all over the darn place. This one is special to me at least and I still do not know enough about it. Of course the pictures are long gone so I thought I would repost them for some giggles. Someday I will learn more about it I guess....just nostalgia folks that is it..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted