1993 $1 Star Note - "Santa Dollar"

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Tankkiller275, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Tankkiller275

Tankkiller275 Active Member

I remember getting this $1 bill from my grandfather when I was just getting outta the Army. I've kept it all this time because it was, well, a Santa Dollar. I know the Santa face is covering the face of George Washington. What I didn't realize until today was that it is a Star Note. I attempted to put the serial number in a currency site and it did not find the note. I doubt the Santa stamp adds any value and in fact might detract from the value. What say you?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tankkiller275

Here's a picture:

KIMG0776.JPG

Crisp and clean... Like new. Has always been in the holiday folder it came in.

~Rob

4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Technically, I think you're correct, in the collectibility sense, but in sentimental terms, the fact that it came from your grandfather makes it priceless.

(*The fact that it's a star note also happens to tweak the fun factor up slightly, if not the value. Cool.)

6. Tankkiller275

Thanks, Lord...

My grandfather would usually send $2 bills at Christmas but sent that $1 star note that one year. I don't plan on getting rid of it as a star note and sure not going to as a Santa dollar.

I was curious by the fact I was unable to find the serial number in the registry though. Aren't the numbers tracked?

~Rob

7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Of what registry do you speak? Sorry. Dunno. I am not a paper money guy- I only do those little round pieces of metal.

But weren't star notes replacements for a note that was destroyed during the printing process? A way to account for that particular serial number? Would their status as replacements mean they would show up in a different registry?

Dunno. Outta my depth here. I'll go back to my little round pieces of metal now... ;)

8. Tankkiller275

You can put the serial number of a star note into the lookup field and then determine if your note is rare or not...

I just realized I typed in my number wrong... I put it in again and my star note is not rare. I have a $100 star note that is indicated at being in the middle for rarity.

I plan on keeping my star notes as I find them and not too much into the value... unless I found a very rare one.

~Rob

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. Tankkiller275

Yes, the star was used in place of the last letter to indicated it is a reprinting of the serial number and that the original note or sheet of notes had errors and removed.

~Rob

lordmarcovan likes this.
  10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Your Star note is less rare..
    You probably put in the information incorrectly.
    I found it Capture+_2020-10-15-13-12-30.png

This website

http://www.mycurrencycollection.com/reference/star-notes/lookup

lordmarcovan likes this.
  11. Tankkiller275

paddyman98 likes this.
  12. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I got a Santa note many years ago and was able to remove the sticker without it leaving any residue on the note.

13. Tankkiller275

Just peel it off or did you steam it, warm it up with hairdryer...?

14. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

It just peeled right off. No heat or chemicals.

15. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I will take two...LOL

16. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  17. Tankkiller275

DarkRage666 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted