1992 Quarter error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by darkrainnn, Nov 26, 2014.

1. darkrainnn

darkrainnn New Member

Hello, I had just made this account. I had found a very unique Quarter at work a week or two ago, and I just find it fascinating. I do not necessarily know what you could call it, but I do have pictures!
    Here is the Front side:
    [​IMG]
    Here is the Reverse side:
    [​IMG]
    These are a few pics of the side, I rotate it to give some idea of what I am seeing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    From the pictures you can see that the lettering and numbers are cut off, it's like strike slightly wrong I think, and it's edge is smooth all around. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

Looks to be an off center strike. Very nice find!

darkrainnn and Briboy07 like this.
  4. darkrainnn

darkrainnn New Member

Thank you! It is my very first Error coin and I rather fell in love with it.

Briboy07 likes this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

you did very good, congrats

darkrainnn likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

That is a pretty nice "first find"! It sure beats some of the run-of-the-mill grease-filled dies that we are accustomed to seeing.

Chris

jay4202472000 and darkrainnn like this.
  7. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

It's a keeper!:cool:

darkrainnn likes this.
  8. darkrainnn

darkrainnn New Member

Thank you guys! After finding that Quarter, I keep my eye out for any error coins. Glad I found a good coin. This one I found out of luck and I am surprised no one has thought to keep it over the 20+ years it was being used. Defiantly keeping this baby in my coin collection, one of my most unique coins. All the others are international coins.

9. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Congrats.

My experience has been that finding errors such as this are usually a 1 in a million shot! I'd bet that it'll be a good long time before you run across something like this again from a cash drawer.

darkrainnn likes this.
  10. darkrainnn

darkrainnn New Member

Thank you. That is more then possible. I may have gotten pretty lucky with this coin, cause my co-workers wouldn't have cared. I am just glad it was there when I was counting. At least I will have one in my possession! And that I know they are out there in circulation. I am curious, what would be a value on a coin like this? Never gonna sell it though.

11. jay4202472000

I've been at this HARD for, right at, three years now. I've found a couple of MINOR off centers. I have yet to find one with missing parts of letters/numbers. I also haven't found a misaligned die yet, with missing parts of devices. I agree with Mr. Lydstrom (19Lyds). I think these are really hard to find in the wild.

darkrainnn likes this.
  12. darkrainnn

darkrainnn New Member

So in a sense I found a diamond in the rough? The more I hear from you guys, the more I feel like I lucked out really good, like beginners luck. I am happy that I can call this coin one of my most valued. Most of the coins I have are international, this one is my very first error. I am more then glad I made a account, hearing from you all makes me feel absolutely ecstatic about my find.

13. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Well, unfortunately, you're not going to be able to retire on it. I'd estimate you could get 10-15 dollars for it on ebay. Still a lot more than you paid for it.:)
    BTW the correct term for your coin is an uncentered broadstrike.

19Lyds likes this.
  14. darkrainnn

darkrainnn New Member

Didn't expect it lol, but a lot more then .25¢. Well I'll keep that term stored away! It sounds rather nice that way.

15. jay4202472000

It's not a Broadstrike. Broad strikes have to have all of the devices present, which this coin doesn't. It's an off center strike.

16. darkrainnn

darkrainnn New Member

When you guys say Devices, what do you mean exactly?

17. jay4202472000

Letters, numbers, ect.

18. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

The term broadstrike means struck without the collar. It can be centered or off center.

19. jay4202472000

This is the definition of an uncentered broadstrike, per error-ref.com:

Definition: When a planchet is poorly centered and then struck out of collar, it ends up as either an off-center strike or an uncentered broadstrike. To qualify as an uncentered broadstrike, the design must be fully present on both faces. If the design is cut off at the edge on one or both faces, it is an off-center strike.

Therefore, this coin is an off-center strike. It is missing parts of the letters/numbers.

20. darkrainnn

darkrainnn New Member

Learning new things here. Good to know this stuff.

21. jerict09

jerict09 New Member

Found one today

Draft saved Draft deleted