1992 Philadephia Lincoln Penny AM CLOSE SCARCE only 2 excist !

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by yummy money, Feb 23, 2011.

1. yummy money

yummy money New Member

my father found this coin yesterday from coin rolls from a bank.
    1992 P Lincoln Penny AM CLOSE error.....scarce.
    I included pics......I also contacted Ken Potter by Email (he is a coin error expert)
    my father has been collecting coins for over 30 years and he is 100% certain
    this coin is the ultra rare Am CLOSE Error coin after comparing it to other 1992 pennies.
    The AM is Close and the FG marks below are away from the building.
    We also compared the coin to one recently found back in 2009 and the coin matched up.
    Ken Potter wrote a story about it in 2009 and he says there are only 2 of these coins found. can be worth over $10,000+
    this will make it 3 found.
    let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Yacorie

Yacorie Junior Member

Hard to say on my screen. The photos are a bit blurry and it looks like there is something going on between the A and M. I don't know the designer initial diagnostic but maybe you should look at that one.

urjunkmytresur likes this.
  4. yummy money

yummy money New Member

took pics with a scanner....did best I could do.....DG is the intials to the right of the monument....AM is suppose to be close almost touching it.
    The DG on my coin are away from the building meaning its the rare error. the AM is close...they are not suppose to touch....and they don't touch.
    I compared the AM to several 1992 coins.....and this coin was different and I went through over 30 1992 pennies to make sure.
    Plus I compared this coin to a picture of the AM CLOSE coin found in 2009 and my coin is a perfect match.
    best describe a regular one would be.... A^M error coin would be A|M
    you can actually see on my coin how much closer the letters A & M are and the DG initials near monument are way different

5. yummy money

yummy money New Member

by the way the 1st one was discovered in March 2006 In Massachusetts
    the 2nd was found in July 2009 in Connecticut

My father found the 3rd one right here....we are from Massachusetts

weird 3 of these found....all on east coast.

6. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Not good enough pics to tell. From what I see it looks like a wide AM. Rescan the reverse and then crop it to just the coin or even better just the right side of the coin.

7. yummy money

yummy money New Member

I know Pic sucks....but it is not a wide AM and the FG marks are away from the monument.
    I looked it coin with magnify glass.
    You basically need to see this coin in your hand with a regular 1992 Penny
    You can see the AM are close compared to a regular one.
    The FG is very close to the stairs.....On my coin....the error coin ->....the FG will be away not even close to touching the stairs.
    I will try to post a better picture within 1 hour.
    But trust me....after countless comparassons to other 1992 pennies,
    my coin is in fact the rare error. Compared it to several 1992 pennies
    and a picture of an authentic one found in 2009
    my coin looks like the one below

Attached Files:

8. yummy money

yummy money New Member

ok the black line I put it shows Where the M in AM should start

the black line near FG shows where FG is suppose to end....
    as you can see....the letter G is clearly past the black line
    which means its away from the building not touching the stairs

Attached Files:

9. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

It does appear that you have a 1992 Close AM to me. What you should do is protect the coin by placing it in a 2x2 cent holder. Just wrap an elastic band around tightly so the coin cannot slide around. Next, send it to a TPG (Third Party Grader ) such as :
    PCGS, NGC, or ANACS to get it AUTHENICATED. This is a must do, no ands ifs or buts. Call any of them I have listed. They are all very congenial and will gladly give you all the info you need. Welcome to CoinTalk and congratulations on all you and your father's finds. Please go and buy " A Guide Book of United States Coins " known as " The Red Book " if you do not already
    have one. Stay in touch with us please

zeke

10. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

Don't say it's "the real deal" until one of the major TPGs grades it. Grade it ASAP

11. yummy money

yummy money New Member

thanks zekeguzz....my father has several coins books and some very very rare coins .
    he is crazy about not selling them.
    we plan on sending the coin to NGS grading in about 2 weeks....
    I sent an email to Ken Potter and I'm awaiting his response.
    I heard this coin sold for $2,900 but it was not in high grade.
    the other coin found was gonna grade High AU and could be worth $10,000+
    my fathers coin may grade around AU

my father also found a double die lincoln worth $500 in MS but he told me his is in AU
    he also found some other pennies that are errors worth about $25 - $100
    so he has been very lucky.....since he has been cracking rolls from the bank for past 6 months.

Anyways anyone know anything about a 1987 Philadelphia Penny with 2 Letter D Strikes on it....my father
    said it may be a one of a kind coin.
    It has 2 clear Letter D strikes on the coin....but the letter D shouldn't be on the coin at all....
    its a Philadelphia...the Letter D is located to the bottom left of Lincoln and the other D is located top right side of Lincoln
    which is weird ! I believe one the D's is on the coin at a angle.
    I will try to get coin off my father later to take a pic and start a new topic.
    I would like to show off his Double Die nickel.....which is from 1970 1971 or 1972
    I think its worth like $2,800 or something...book value. coin is not graded but is in mint state.
    My father bought it and put it in a safe....never taken out....still in a safe lol .

He bought the Nickel off a coin dealer back in 1975 for $50
    there were very few around and was a very rare error at the time and the dealer told my
    father it would be worth alot later on...well he was right.
    paid $50...worth like $2,800...imagine a Nickel selling for $50.00 in 1975

I can't wait to contribute to more blogs....we have several coins from the 1st one ever made in the US
    to current released coins from the mint.
    My father is also a proud owner of a colonial coin (1st US coin ever made)
    Massachusetts New England XII Oak Tree 1652...coin was marked 1652 but were made in 1670's I believe .
    They marked them all 1652 so the British would not think Massachusetts were making new money
    and the coins were hand made with a machine.
    I'll post again when I get new info or pics made.
    thanks

12. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

We here would very much like to like to see clear close up pics of the coins you speak about. There is worlds of knowledge here on currency and coins. So post as many pics as you can, thanks.............zeke

13. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

Try and get pics like these. Disregard the pic of ' californiq quarter '. The top and bottom are pics of my #2 1999 WAM

Attached Files:

14. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

The best thing you can do on a scanner is to increase the resolution and then crop out the area that you what to show.

15. yummy money

yummy money New Member

thanks gxseries I will post new pics Saturday
    nice pic of the 1999 penny....it shows how far apart the AM is
    and the FG initials are close to building.
    My coin the AM are close...but not touching and the FG is away from the building.
    The whole letter G actually is almost past bottom step ...the bottom step
    is located below the letter G....in your pic you can some step below the G.
    In the error coin the G is almost completely away from the bottom step.
    Best describe it....the error will have around 25% of the step below the Letter G...
    normal coin will show the end of the step underneath 50% of the letter G.

16. bullnuke

bullnuke Junior Member

Don't want to burst your bubble but I am 50/50 that is a wide AM. Get clearer pics of the area around the designer initials "FG" at the base of the memorial so the experts here can help you out. Just because the G sticks out beyond the steps is not an indicator. I really hope you have found one but do not have a warm fuzzy on this coin. By the way it would be at least the fourth if not fifth found. The third graded by NGC as AU58 was sold at auction in Jan of 2010 I believe, and I saw a MS 61 example was sold acouple of months later I think it was an ANACS holder (don't know if it was the third coin reholdered or not). If your coin is a CAM it would be the second die known or at least a different die state, as it does not meet all the diagnostics of the previous 3 found which all came from the same die. You realize the pics you are comparing it to are taken at over 100 times magnification and unless you are using a 20x or better loupe you cannot see a physical separation between the A and the M.

17. yummy money

yummy money New Member

well I only heard of 2 found.....and for the last time its not a WIDE AM....the AM are close and you can see a bigger gap from the M & the E
    if you look at the coin you have in your pic above.
    I did not hear of any Cams regarding this coin....actually according to Ken Potter there are no Proof Errors made since
    the proof sets were made before they started striking this design.
    there are Denver errors....around 15 of them....the Philadephia one is more scarce....2 - 4

By the way I realize the coin is magnified....but you have to remember....I'm holding the coin in my hand !
    I looked at the coin undermagification and compared it to over 30 1992 Regular Pennies.
    We also had my father's coin dealer look it....and he said its 100% authentic.
    We also compared it to magnified coins in a coin book showing this error.
    For the last time....our coin is legit.....our coin looks like the one pictured in magnification.

18. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

If you plan on selling it I would do quick and get the outraegeous money that someone would actually pay. I don't think they would stop the presses after just a couple coins. More than likely there are 1000's that havn't been discovered. The more reported the lower the price comes down. Coin collectors are just a teeny tiny percentage of the U.S. population and most have never heard of a cam or wam, so their not searching for them...

19. bullnuke

bullnuke Junior Member

Don't get angry, just post a clear close up of the letters "FG" next to the memorial so the experts here (not me) can maybe save you $80 in grading fees if it isn't what you think it is. I have looked at somewhere between 50 and 100 thousand 1992's and have had my heart stop on many occaisions for what I initially thought was a CAM, and ended up being worn dies. I recognized this as soon as I saw the "FG" was the style with the serif. This can be hard to determine which is why the experts need clear pictures of this area.
    Kie

20. CashDude

CashDude Member

It's a wide AM until you post a half decent pic.

21. yummy money

yummy money New Member

Coin was graded by NGC....the toughest and best grading company on the Market
    Just to let you know the coin "like I said in the begining was REAL"
    was graded to be Real & Genuine...the 3rd one that we know of found.
    I will be contacting Ken Potter to get more info....but as I can tell you....
    one sold for $2,700 and it was in rough shape....the 2nd was gonna grade around AU...
    it is brown and you see some scuffs & scratches.
    My coin is the highest graded at MINT STATE 62 RED....yes MS 62 RED
    Ken Potter said the AU graded coin was worth over $10,000.....also his coin was brown !
    Look above at my entry....DATED 2-23-2011 6:58pm
    it shows pictures of actual AU coin.....2nd one found....look how brown it is....our coin is RED MS 62 !
    so our coin may be "Skies the Limit" since its Mint State and highest one graded out of 3 found specimens
    NGC is shipping the coin back to me sometime today !
    When I get coin I will post new pics of it :)
    Also Yes I will be selling this coin sometime in the near Future.
    But One Last Time....the coin is real and MS 62 RED - Mint State

Draft saved Draft deleted