1992-D penny with doubling?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by cmac, Aug 30, 2011.

1. cmac

cmac Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Pics are too small to tell.

4. cmac

cmac Member

5. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Can't see much in the pics but it is probably the common copper plating problem. It is highly common for the copper plating to seperate away from the edges of the letters and numbers and showing the zinc metal where the copper breaks away.This happens during the strike when the copper coating gets stretched too much near the letters and other design.

KC Goatroper likes this.
  6. cmac

cmac Member

Good call I didn't know that that's probably what it is and maybe some machine doubling? Probably not worth more than a penny lol

7. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Tough to make out anything worthwhile. Lots of coins exhibit some sort of doubling, however, you need a 500x microscope to see it. The variations that you can see clearly with the naked eye command lots more in terms of value.

8. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Too bad it isn't a "CAM" variety, now that would be something.

9. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

The 1992-D cent is NOTORIOUS as far as I'm concerned for having lots of machine doubling. Mostly on the Reverse. I live on the west coast and get them all the time.
    But you might want to get a better pic anyways, because there is always the off chance there is a doubled die out there. Not likely IMO for that year/mint, but possible.

10. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Indeed, as well as die deterioration doubling...but I typically find it on the obverse.

Attached Files:

11. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Thanks, forgot about the date/mm area. You are correct. I was thinking of where the plating tends to be off on the reverse around some of the lettering, and the memorial sides, bottom, etc. Looks nice when MS, but as oxygen gets to it, it "rots" IMO.

12. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

Interesting image indeed.. I never noticed something that pronounced...

13. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

BadThad there may be more to this 1992D cent than we think. I think this one needs more study because there are so many of them showing up that are identical to each other. I have a few of them and have been taking some of them back to the bank. from now on I'm going to start saving them. I know that when a die is worn out it keeps on making coins that are identical to each other but this one looks like more than just a worn out die.

Draft saved Draft deleted