1992 D Major Error(s) Penny- Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by aiarz88, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Why not?

I used to do it all the time. The kids, who was doing all sorts of stuff to coinage including drilling holes in them, would have me smoosh some together to get the neat effects it left behind.

There are tons of hobby things done to coins. Just search coin hobby sites such as search for "coin charms" to start seeing this and prepare to be amazed at the carnage.

aiarz88 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. aiarz88

aiarz88 Member

Thank you for the info! :)

4. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

the kids use to glue coins together too, so expect (because we see it) of seeing other transparent "images" on top of the coins too found in circulation.

aiarz88 likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You're welcome

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Abby, you will have to change your avatar. Please read the rules on no Politics, Religion , or World events. No current living politicians can be used. Thanks. Jim

7. aiarz88

aiarz88 Member

Done. Sorry about that. I will go back and read the rules more carefully now. It was only meant in fun. Thanks for the warning.

Have a great night, Jim!
    Abby

8. Pennyw1se

Pennyw1se Member

My guess is that if that Penny would have been damaged like that outside of the mint prior to coating it would show quit a bit lot of shiny zink with the copper. I'm sure you've seen a copper coated Penny with similar damage that showed the shiny bottom layer. In short common sense would tell me that damage like that probably didn't happen outside of the mint.

aiarz88 likes this.
  9. Pennyw1se

Pennyw1se Member

I would take it to a coin dealer and ask his opinion. Couldn't hurt. Good luck

aiarz88 likes this.
  10. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

If the coin was just squeezed or pressed into another coin or object it wouldn't necessarily break through the copper plating. Isn't the coin originally struck by the dies without it breaking through? It is just damaged nothing else.

Pennyw1se likes this.
  11. Pennyw1se

Pennyw1se Member

That makes a lot of sense.

aiarz88 likes this.
  12. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

That’s bad advice and would be a waste of hers and some dealers time.

move on to the next coin and keep learning.

aiarz88 and Pennyw1se like this.
  13. Pennyw1se

Pennyw1se Member

Yup. So I was told. Ironically I ran into two coins last night that had almost the same look as far as damage but not as deep and showed zinc. Was odd. Anyway is what it is. Thanks.

frankjg and aiarz88 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted