1992 D Major Error(s) Penny- Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by aiarz88, Feb 23, 2020.

1. aiarz88

aiarz88 Member

20200223_132039.jpg 20200222_042351.jpg 20200222_042416.jpg I would very much appreciate some help with an error penny I have found.

Just to note: Any guidance is useful! I am very new to coin collecting.. at this point, I guess I am more of a coin enthusiast for I have not officially started collecting. For the most part, I just have hunted through my own coin jars/piggy banks at home.

Nonetheless.. Attached are photos of a major error(s) 1992 D penny. It appears to have several errors and I just don't know enough to be able to decipher what exactly it is that happened here. Please let me know if anyone needs any additional photos or information from me to avoid taking up to much of your time.

Lastly, thank you sooooo much! I appreciate your time and all you do to educate the community. I hope each of you have a wonderful & lucky day!

-Abby

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

As a beginner in searching for mint errors do not assume that something that looks strange or different is an error.

So far all I can see is a damaged Cent.
    No major errors.
    PMD - Post Mint Damage :yack:

Oldhoopster and aiarz88 like this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Just beat to crap. All damage. Nothing more.

aiarz88 likes this.
  5. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Looks like a liberated 'lucky penny' from its press fitting into a collar.

lpd.png

aiarz88 likes this.
  6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It looks to me like something smashed its reverse against another cent's obverse hard enough to distort this coin, and to press the obverse design (backward lettering and profile) into this coin's reverse.

When you see mirror-image lettering or other details like this on a coin, you can figure that it's been squeezed against another coin.

The damage on the coin's obverse is probably from whatever did the squeezing.

This is all what we call "post-mint damage" -- not a mint error, and not collectible.

Welcome to CoinTalk!

aiarz88 likes this.
  7. paddyman98

Notice the incused and backwards lettering on the Reverse of your Cent? That occurs when another Cent is deliberately pressed against it leaving an impression. That does not occur during the minting process.
    Capture+_2020-02-23-14-32-41.png

aiarz88 likes this.
  8. aiarz88

aiarz88 Member

So do you think this was done intentionally?

Attached Files:

9. paddyman98

I/we don't think.. We know it was done intentionally.

aiarz88 likes this.
  10. aiarz88

aiarz88 Member

Gotcha! Thank you all very much. I am very grateful for your help!

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Welcome to the neighborhood @aiarz88 !

I don't need to repeat what others have told you. ~ Chris

aiarz88 likes this.
  12. aiarz88

aiarz88 Member

Thank you! :)

paddyman98 likes this.
  13. aiarz88

aiarz88 Member

14. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CT @alarz88. Because you are new to coin collecting, or I assume you will be a collector now that the curiosity bug has bit you, you need to buy a Red Book for the great information in it. There are also a lot of good web sites with information and photos that you can use as reference. Keep all of your anomalies, like this coin, for comparison in the future. Learn about the minting process so you can determine how something like your coin couldn't possibly be a mint error. Good luck and keep looking.

Oldhoopster and aiarz88 like this.
  15. aiarz88

aiarz88 Member

I appreciate the advice. Thank you so much! Feel fortunate to have found such an honest, helpful community. Looking forward to learning all I can. Hope you have a wonderful day! :)

furryfrog02 likes this.
  16. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Keep an open mind and don't expect to hit the jackpot right away. We lose a lot of beginners that way. They don't like what they hear and get upset and leave. So far, that doesn't seem to be your M.O. Hope you stay around. Welcome :)

17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's made of zinc, a very soft metal. Yours it obviously damaged. Some of the letters are backwards and that means it was put in a vice and squeezed with another coin. Welcome to CT.

aiarz88 likes this.
  18. aiarz88

aiarz88 Member

Collecting Nut likes this.
  19. aiarz88

aiarz88 Member

It just motivates me more! :) I am determined to get an approval from the obviously wise community . I am excited to learn from you all. Thank you for the encouragement.

Kevin Mader and furryfrog02 like this.
  20. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Your avatar makes this all worth it! icon_smile_thumbsup.gif Welcome to the club!

aiarz88 likes this.
  21. aiarz88

aiarz88 Member

Seemed appropriate after my first official post immediately resulted in exposure of my obvious ignorance in this matter. Ha.

I can't grow if I don't recognize and poke a little fun at my own failures.

Thank you for your support!
    Abby

furryfrog02 and Islander80-83 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted