1992 D Close AM

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by cafe, Nov 6, 2010.

1. cafe

cafe Junior Member

What is a NGC certified MS62 RB 1992 D close AM Lincoln penny worth?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

4. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

$2000 is a VERY conservative number IMO. There's little to no history because the 92-D ClAM is very, very rare with only a few discovered. It is #2 on the WAM/ClAM rarity scale at LCR and rightfully so. Personally, on a good day with some highly interested bidders, I would expect an MS example to fetch at least $5000 and perhaps $10,000 or more.

5. cafe

cafe Junior Member

Here's some photos.

Don't know about the grade but am very sure it is authentic. I'm a junior member and was recently fooled with a two tailed magician's coin. I can see no milling or inlay or joints whatsoever. There is no rotation. It is a RB but actually grade am yet unsure. Lotoked at under a zoom scope for joints etc. Where is the best place to sell once it is certified? Hoping to become more knowledgeable and improve my junior status with all the good neighbors at CoinTalk! The file resolution for .bmp might be blurry but can't upload anything greater than 250kb.
    regards, cafe

Attached Files:

6. lincolncent

lincolncent Future Storm Chaser Guy

Looks like a wide AM from those pics. Gonna have to have some better ones before you convince me.
    EDIT: might wanna try photobucket or something of the like.

7. jallengomez

I thought we were talking about an NGC certified? I agree that it looks like a wide am.

8. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Absent a better pic, including being able to see the designers initials it looks like a wide am to me too.

9. hrhomer

hrhomer Member

Those pictures do not match ANY of the words in this sentence.

Joe

10. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Authenticated 5-10k, would be more realistic. Everyone who doesn't have one would like one at a cheap price. Those who DO have them, aren't too interested in selling. Of course no LMC set can be considered complete without one. If it would take $20k for you to sell it, then that's what it's worth, not a dollar less. As an estimated of 5% of all cents are lost each year with a greatly increased production of new ones each year, finding rare specimens gets more and more difficult in spite of those who would lead you to believe that more searchers will suddenly find many of them.

I admit that they are possibly waiting to be found, but certainly not in any quantity that would outpace new demand for them. I believe the contrary is true. Greater awareness leads to increased demand of the very limited supply.

gary

11. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Looks like a wide AM to me as well. And if that is the coin, the description does NOT match it..

12. cafe

cafe Junior Member

Plan to get it certified. Was estimating grade based on 99 wide AMs they have graded in the past for us and a grading book we bought. Keep in mind I am a rookie but figure the best it will grade would be MS62 and the low end would be AU58 RB. Will see about photo bucket (don't know nuthin' remember) and see what I need to do to post some better pics.
    Am thankful for your inputs and patience as we wade thru the sea of knowledge.

13. cafe

cafe Junior Member

The only thing in error is certified NGC MS62. Photo bucket Cafe41041 error coin pennies are better photos. It is a 1992 D, it is a Close AM but is not certified and probably less than MS62 grade.

14. cafe

cafe Junior Member

cafe41041 error coin pennies @ photobucket. Thanks!

15. cafe

cafe Junior Member

cafe41041 error coin pennies @ photobucket. Thanks!

16. jallengomez

It's definitely not a 62, but from those photos at photobucket the CAM part looks right. Nice find. Was that a roll searching find?

17. jallengomez

18. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Better pics make all the difference. I'll eat my words, that's a close am. Congrats on the find!:hail:

19. cafe

cafe Junior Member

Just lucky or looked after we guess. We look at all change and my sister saves her cause she knows we look for a few varieties. We read about someone finding the 2nd 1992 close AM and starting checking the ones we ran across and was lucky enough I guess to stumble across this one.

20. JJK78

JJK78 Member

very cool, nice find! glad to know there may be one out there with my name on it :)

21. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

How many of these have been found now? Is it 3? or more?

Congrats!

Draft saved Draft deleted