1992-D close AM penny-now what?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by hyattbrittany, Feb 1, 2011.

1. hyattbrittany

hyattbrittany New Member

I just got interested in error coins last week and have already found what i believe is a good one! It is a 1992-D Close AM Lincoln Cent. As I am brand spankin' new to coin collecting, I took it to a coin shop. He didn't know much about error coins, but looked it up in his book and then looked through his loupe and said he thought it was legit! He told me I should send it off to be graded and asked me to come back in with an update. I am nervous to send off my penny...what if I don't get it back? or what if they send me back a different coin? I found a good one, now what do I do?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Welcome to CT!

Have your dealer submit it to PCGS for you. Most dealers charge a nominal fee, mine charges $25 per coin. Tell him to be sure to mark it as a CLOSE AM variety on the submission form. You definately don't want to go through the trouble of joining PCGS and paying all the fees and postage since it could be the only coin you'll ever submit. There's nothing to be nervous about. You'll get your coin back. People send in coins far more valuable than yours everyday.

4. BadThad

Oh....how about some pictures...both side please.

5. hyattbrittany

hyattbrittany New Member

um....i know this sounds stupid, but how do i put a picture on here without a url?

6. hyattbrittany

hyattbrittany New Member

7. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

So far as I can see by your pics it looks like you have a winner. If you don't have a coin scale take it back to your coin dealer and have him weigh it. It should weigh 2.5 grams + or - 0.02 grams. Next have him check the diameter of the coin which should be 19 milimeters + or - 0.05 milimeters. Also give it the magnet test. If it is attracted to the magnet it is a counterfeit. Great find and good luck.

8. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

9. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

pm sent

10. BadThad

Congrats! It does look like a close AM!

Get that to PCGS!

11. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Killer find. I'll guess it's mid-AU or low-MS. Still looking for one myself...

12. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Nice!!! Post it after it get graded!!!:thumb:

13. lincolncent

lincolncent Future Storm Chaser Guy

Congrats!
    I've been really searching for about 6 months to a year now and have yet to find any WAMs or CAMs

14. Merc Crazy

Not even '98's or '00's? I've now found two 1998's, one 1999, and one 2000.

15. lincolncent

lincolncent Future Storm Chaser Guy

Nope. I don't specifically roll search but I'm manager at a grocery store and I have to count all the tills and hand out change so I look through all of it. I average a few bucks in pennies each day. Not a whole lot but you'd think I'd have found one by now.....

16. Merc Crazy

Yeah, well... I haven't found any WAM's outta my tills yet. Have gone through several hundred dollars in cents, boxed, so they're not common.

17. hyattbrittany

hyattbrittany New Member

i took it to a dealer to send it off for me (there are only 2 here in town that are registered with NCG) and he basically told me i was an idiot and that there is no way i had a close AM because they were only proof sets and my penny was not a proof. he really made me feel stupid and told me he would send it for me for $80 and if it came back in a "body bag" that i should pay him! my book doesn't say anything about 1992-d close AM only being proofs. it really made me upset the way he talked to me and was very discouraging! Maybe I will find a dealer that is registered with the PCGS? which would you all recommend? NCG or PCGS?

18. hyattbrittany

hyattbrittany New Member

i took it to a dealer to send it off for me (there are only 2 here in town that are registered with NCG) and he basically told me i was an idiot and that there is no way i had a close AM because they were only proof sets and my penny was not a proof. he really made me feel stupid and told me he would send it for me for $80 and if it came back in a "body bag" that i should pay him! my book doesn't say anything about 1992-d close AM only being proofs. it really made me upset the way he talked to me and was very discouraging! Maybe I will find a dealer that is registered with the PCGS? which would you all recommend? NCG or PCGS?

19. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

NGC and PCGS are both good companies, you cant go wrong with either. i am sorry to hear about your run-in with the dealer. I would stay away from him and after you get it back from bring graded take it to him and make him feel stupid.(not really, dont be as childish as him)

20. Yacorie

Yacorie Junior Member

I would go somewhere else. i'd be afraid that this dealers would swap my coin for a different one and keep it for himself.

21. Merc Crazy

Not only this, but I wouldn't patronize such a fellows store. As a matter of a fact, I'd call up NGC and start asking questions in regards to their affiliation with this individual.

Desiree26 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted