1992 crud strike through.

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by 352sdeer, Nov 30, 2017.

1. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Here we go my first pictures please be kind. No I don’t have an image of the reverse but it was unremarkable except for the nice full striking . I’ll look for the coin again and get an image up tomorrow if I find it. Found this searching some plastic shrink rolls that I’d had for about ten years. It’s to bad I let then sit they didn’t tone well. 8EFEA647-0644-4FF0-9F58-D098964CC52D.jpeg
    C15FA976-C71B-464F-AA6A-45F6A806C0EA.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

It's honestly hard to tell. Strike thrus are generally depressed into the coin. Yours appears to be resting on top of the surface, which would lead me to believe it is not a strike thru.

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

5. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I agree. Based on what I see in the pics, there doesn't appear to be any recessed areas and the striking pressure would not have left the raised material on the surface. My guess is that something mildly corrosive came in contact with the coin and also contributed to the adhered residue.

If you can determine that residue is flush and/or there is some indentation, then maybe it would be worth revisting

BTW: Nice pics

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. 352sdeer

I pulled this cent from the center if a brand new (albeit 25 years old) bank wrapped roll. The date didn’t stike up well and unfortunately when I found this cent it had more crud on it but it was/is dry and most of the crud flaked off. I was only able to save this much before I put it into a 2X2. Wish I had taken more pics at the time i took these. I’ll try to track that coin down, I haven’t filed any errors in a couple of months so it should be in one of my file it piles.

7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

It's not hard to imagine that the residue on the coin could have come from someplace between the minting process and rolling the coins. It would have been interesting to note if the coin next to it in the roll that was in contact with the residue had any marks or corrosion, but it sounds like that information is gone.

But if it is corrosion, and it was strong enough to remove some of the date, why wasn't the copper plating breached? It's pretty thin and once zinc is exposed to anything reactive, it seems to corrode like crazy

When you find the coin and check for the filled/struck through characteristics let us know. I'm leaning towards corrosion but....

And, there has been some discussion on CT regarding the term "Grease filled die error". You may actually have a true "Grease filled die error". :)

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. 352sdeer

I’ve been thinking about this alittle and let me give you guys more facts as I remember them and some pics. If it’s not a strike thru then it’s something and you guys I’ll figure it out.
    1. I searched those rolls because they were toning funky months ago and went thru about 20 rolls I’d had for at least ten years. Bought them from a guy who was dumping rolls at face value. He’d got them from some bank in the Central States I don’t remember exactly which State. I still have one un-opened roll.
    2. OH YEA I WAS WRONG ON THE DATE. It is a 1994 philly I couldn’t remember and couldn’t read the date either I made a mistake. But after finding this buried under a bunch of stuff at my “Dirty” desk.
    54FB80C7-9A1C-4DBD-9222-45D6283530CC.jpeg
    I remember it. These are the two last rolls. My pictured pictured poo coin, that’s it’s name, came from those loose coins.
    3. The build up on the coin is almost and I say almost but it isn’t, a crystalline structure made up of what I think is the accumulation of what V. Kurt Bellman described once recently in another non related thread as accumulated detergent/oil mist and coin metal dust boogers. Two big boogers fell on my planchet just right before it struck I think.
    4. I almost lost what’s left of the crust on the coin it’s dry and brittle.
    5. I think that the back of this coin was fine but I’ll find it for more pics.
    Can’t think of anything else right now I’ll get that coin let me know if you have any questions

9. 352sdeer

Still haven’t found it

Draft saved Draft deleted