1992 close AM cent

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by bullnuke, Sep 21, 2009.

1. skippy

skippy Senior Member

Now I have to go back and search through ALL of my 1992 Philly's! :rolling:

Congrats on the find!!

Chad75 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

Separately I think I am going to open an auction house when I retire from the Navy, BIG money involved :smile.

Kie[/QUOTE]

You can always have fun and test the water with ebay and a high published reserve. It'll give you a good start toward your auction house if you do get a buyer.

Chad75 likes this.
  4. bullnuke

bullnuke Junior Member

Jason
    I totally understand about the auction houses reserve, I just went in kind of blinded and it took me by suprize. I have been thinking about all the things you mentioned about when and if to sell and at this time I think I am just going to put this one in my collection and wait and see what happens, the only 2 I am missing from the set are the 92d and 98. When I find (and I will) respectable examples of these I may have a one and only registry set:smile

You can always have fun and test the water with ebay and a high published reserve. It'll give you a good start toward your auction house if you do get a buyer.[/QUOTE]

I thought about ebay also, however there is a guy that keeps trying to sell a normal 92 as a close AM (seen it listed at least twice by the same seller) I have contacted him through ebay about it and he got pretty nasty. I would not want to possibly ligetimize(sp??) his coin in some newbies eye so I have crossed ebay off my list

Kie

Chad75 likes this.
  5. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

I now agree with you. Who said "Good things happen to those who wait"?
    Cooler,less excited heads will prevail.

Chad75 likes this.
  6. jcuve

jcuve Lincoln variety fanatic

Now keeping them and having the only complete set, that would be the biggest reason to keep it!

Good luck with the '92D CAM, I don't know about you in CT, but in NY I find maybe 1 '92D for every 20 '92Ps. I am trying to get some relatives to round up a bunch D Lincolns and send them to me...

The hunt goes on...

7. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I would use ha for sure, good choice. I would wait until next year or the year after. Better economic conditions should help the price. I wouldn't hesitate to put a huge reserve on it, like $10k and see what happens.

After seeing better pictures, PCGS was quite generous with the grade. The coin shows traces of wear. IMO, the correct grade should have been AU-50.

8. bullnuke

bullnuke Junior Member

Hi BT
    Yeah I was kinda shocked at the grade. I was thinking AU 50/55. Then after talking on the phone with Ken Potter I just figured I was a hard grader, and the PCGS grade seemed to second the motion. I've Worked some aspect of quality assurance my entire career from worker to inspector to supervisor, so I figured either my standards are too high or I just don't understand the standards correctly. I wonder if they will look at the coin again when they add the correct designation and reslab it.

9. yorkiedad5

yorkiedad5 Senior Member

you might want to take a look at this--picture will zoom-- it has the 1992 no mint mark as the more valuable

Attached Files:

10. yorkiedad5

yorkiedad5 Senior Member

if this book is right , there are close (AMs) on both 1992,and 1992-d.--bottom picture will zoom

Attached Files:

11. CashDude

CashDude Member

Yeah there are at least a dozen D mint mark coins known and this is only the 2nd Philly coin so it is going to be much more valuable. BTW the coin looks BU to me, so let's hope PCGS doesn't see this thread and change their minds before mailing it back to you. It would be really cool if you would share pics of this super rare coin when you get it back.

12. yorkiedad5

yorkiedad5 Senior Member

I think he said that he had the 1992-D---So the value is from, $900 to $4,000-- the no mint mark is from ---$5,000 to $10,000.

13. raider34

raider34 Active Member

It's actually the 92 P.
    Btw awesome find Kie!

14. bullnuke

bullnuke Junior Member

CashDude check on page 1 I posted pics Ken Potter took of the coin when he attributed it. Much better than anything you are likely to see from my scanner. I really have to figure out how to use my digital camera to photograph these things.

Thanks I am still pretty pumped about it.:high5:

15. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

16. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

17. Snowman

Snowman Senior Member

can we see a picture of the slab or get a PCGS number off it

18. bullnuke

bullnuke Junior Member

I just sent it back to PCGS as they forgot to add "close AM" to the slab, which I think will change the number when they reslab it. Will post pics as soon as I get the slab back. I think I can talk a guy at work into taking the pics for me as I don't think a scan will show the coin very well.

Kie

19. Kent

Kent Junior Member

Is That bottom coin actually a close AM I mean thye don't even touch. I have had and may still at least three that were that close or closer I will have to got through and check again But I asked on this site and was told they have to be touching. WOW

20. CentDime

CentDime Coin Hoarder

Hi,

I think that one of the risks to not selling now is that more coins show up at a later time. If that happens then there is the chance that the value goes down. I find it hard to believe that the mint would only have a dozen or less of these coins released but I guess there is that chance. it all depends on how lucky you are.

PS If I found that coin it would be hard for me not to sell it based on this, but that is just me. Anyway you have a great find there, congrats!

21. bullnuke

bullnuke Junior Member

CentDime Originally when I found the coin I was not going to sell it, I search for the fun of it. A few people around me convinced me to try selling it, after a rude awakening by the auction houses I am back to normal and would rather try to get nice examples of all of them than sell this one, I've become rather attached to it.

Kent by the bottom coin I am assuming you are refering to the photo on page 2. Look at the photos I posted on page 1 about 3/4 of the way down. There are alot of 92's where the AM are really close, the clincher is the positioning of the FG in relation to the memorial building it should be further from the building and the "G" should not have a shelf. The pics I posted of the "FG" are a really good guide.

Kie

Draft saved Draft deleted