1992 Cent PMD or error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Tompkins316, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

I was looking through some cents from a small coin bank of a family member and saw this:

1992_0001.jpg

As you can see the rim is very pronounced on the right side, but it gets smaller as it goes the left until it is nonexistent.

Is the left side just worn down smooth, or does is look like some kind of legitimate error? I can't tell if it's just wear because the rim in the 4-6 o'clock region looks abnormally thick.

Thanks for the help

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

It's not worn down at all. It's a off center strike, meaning the die hit the planchet off. However, since it's off by a little bit ( > 5%), it's not worth too much.

Keep it, it's only a penny.

4. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

That's what I thought it was...but I think I stared at it too long and my eyes started buggin out. Second guessed myself into thinking it was something else lol

5. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Those slight off center strikes are very common. I only keep them if they are greater than 5% which is considered avbout minimum to be called an error or if the coin is pre '82 and copper (which are about 2.9c in copper melt value)

But it's only 1c, save it until you find more of them maybe with greater offsets ?

gary

6. CashDude

CashDude Member

What does the reverse look like?

7. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

If the rev is not off-center, it is a mis-aligned die.

8. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Just what I was going to say. But also mis-aligned to the same end of coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted