1992 Cent -Clad problems

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Layo6, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Layo6

Layo6 Member

Came across this coin today. Struck me as being odd. I know its obvious clad damage but is something like this pmd? 20160927_182623.jpg 20160927_182747.jpg 20160927_182819.jpg 20160927_182910.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

That cent is not clad, it's plated. They've been copper plated zinc since 1982.
    I have never seen a cent like yours.
    It looks like the plating was incomplete.
    I'm waiting to hear from others on this one.

4. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Looks like environmental damage/toning - you notice how the copper plating is eaten away on the word CENT on the obverse!!

5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I tend to agree with rickmp. But it's amazing it's still in this condition after all these years. Was this found in change or a new roll of solid dates? I do not see any signs of dipping in acid or coke (cola).

6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I would have said so also but it just looks too clean. Could be partially coated at cent?

7. Layo6

Layo6 Member

I purchased some customer rolled coins from the bank and this was one of the surprises I got.

tommyc03 likes this.
  8. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Change my mind Tommy - it sure looks like "copper plating gone, zinc showing!

tommyc03 likes this.
  9. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

The zinc blanks are barrel plated, very likely on a much larger scale than this example
    Perhaps this coin didn't get the proper electrical charge, maybe it was not fully exposed to the copper solution, but I think that was struck on an improperly or incompletely plated planchet.

Layo6 likes this.
  10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

At first glance, I thought the Copper Plate was missing,
    Then said, no that is dipped, in citric.
    Unless, that is lustre on the zinc looking tone, it is cleaned.
    Missing Copper plating should have an edge. Something that looks like a lamination.

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I think it was cooked.

12. Layo6

Layo6 Member

Here are a couple of closer pics. Maybe they will help some.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted