1992 Canada 25 cents - larger issue?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Joe Campbell, Feb 13, 2022.

1. Joe Campbell

Joe Campbell Well-Known Member

It appears I bought this several weeks ago and I somehow can’t figure out what it is???

Obviously it’s a 1992 Canadian commemorative quarter design for Ontario and the 125th anniversary of the Confederation of Canada. However it’s the size of Canadian silver dollar. It’s a proof issue and it’s not silver.

I can’t seem to find it anywhere. Help???

8A688E6A-0A9E-4E3E-9916-73A473ECD420.png D353171D-B120-4A3B-A2A1-BB869FBDBFC6.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Joe Campbell

For size it’s in a US silver dollar 2x2

4. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a proof issue. Weight will tell. 5.08 g for the clad. 6.0 g for the silver proof.

5. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

CoinsandCanada.com

6. chuckylucky5

chuckylucky5 Well-Known Member

This is the only thing I can find
    1992 Ontario 25 Cents.jpg

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  7. Spark1951

Add to previous…be sure to select the “Circulated” tab, and change to values in USD. Lists for 45 cents in USD at AU58. Your coin has scuffs and handling marks, you can see all the info there.

8. Spark1951

Using @chuckylucky5 info above, I plugged it into the NGC World Price Guide and found a listing but no weight info.

NGC’s WPG is powered by NumisMaster…very disappointed that since 1992, all of the pertinent data should be accessible for these coins.

edited to correct: NumisMaster, not Numismedia.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
  9. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Are saying that your coin is the diameter of a Canadian nickel or silver dollar, or a US silver dollar? It should be the size of a 25 cent piece.

10. Joe Campbell

It’s the size of a Canadian silver dollar. I’ll weigh and measure it when I get home. For reference the 2x2 it is in is for a US silver dollar.

11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Let us know the data when you have it.

Joe Campbell likes this.
  12. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Hi Joe - don't forget to flatten those staples. Dreaded things can booger up a fine coin in short order.

Joe Campbell likes this.
  13. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I tried Medals tokens dollar size I couldn't find anything on this. I wonder if it's an alibaba special.

Joe Campbell likes this.
  14. Joe Campbell

31.25 g
    38 mm dia
    Definitely a proof issue
    Definitely not a non-mint product.

15. Joe Campbell

Looks like the size info is as confusing for you guys as it is for me.

16. Spark1951

At 38 mm, I’m way off. I haven’t run across anything other than the quarter size type at 23.8 mm.

The good news is: both sizes are great looking coins! Be sure to let us know if, when and where you find out anything…Spark

Joe Campbell likes this.
  17. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

I have never seen that, but as a collector of Royal Canadian Mint exonumia, I absolutely love it!! Thanks for sharing this.

Joe Campbell likes this.
  18. Joe Campbell

@SPP Ottawa - if a guy who collects RCM exonumia doesn’t know what it is I may be in trouble.... thanks for looking.

19. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

The real mystery is to find out if the Royal Canadian Mint actually struck that, or not.

20. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Coins and Canada has a discussion forum as part of their price guide site. I don't use it, but it looks like it gets a couple posts a week. I noticed that @Bill in Burl has posted there. Maybe he could offer some insight.

https://coinsandcanada.com/forum/

21. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

The CaC site gets very little discussion traffic. I think that the French edition of that site is very popular and informative.

Here's the French site that has translation:

https://numicanada-com.translate.goog

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted