1991-s Kennedy half error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Hvacguy, May 15, 2013.

1. Hvacguy

Hvacguy New Member

I just purchased a 1991 proof set to help complete a run and found the Kennedy half to have an error.
    Enclosed is a picture and I am wondering if its worth grading and any ideas on value,attached is pictures so any help would be great!Hope pictures are good enough thanks

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Could be a struck through thread or wire error, which doesn't add much premium, or it may just be a scratch. Can't quite tell.
    Keep up the hunt!

David Eugene Swiger likes this.
  4. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 Nothing

What are you seeing?

5. Hvacguy

Hvacguy New Member

Looks to be a crack in the neck,or maybe a spot where the metal didn't quite fill in.By the way how can I take better pictures?

6. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 Nothing

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure this is normal. I have some modern kennedies and they all have it.

7. Hvacguy

Hvacguy New Member

Thanks for the input!It looks like its in the material at 30x,I guess like a crack or void but not like a scratch,could be where wire or thread was in the press maybe

8. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

A die crack will be raised on the coin and a strike-through will be incuse (because the item that came between the die and the planchet got pressed into the coin). From your photos it is hard to tell if the anomaly is raised or incuse but it looks incuse to me (which points to a strike-through).

9. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 Nothing

Like I said I think this is part of the design. It is visible on all my modern kennedies.

10. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

I checked google images and you may be right. I can see it on a bunch of the results.

11. Hvacguy

Hvacguy New Member

I checked so of my other sets and it seems to be a portion of the same thing on some of the other coins I have so must be normal,thank you for all your help!

12. atrox001

atrox001 Senior Member

13. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

It may be on all of them, but a design element implies design. What the **** is it supposed to be? His collar?

14. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 Nothing

Draft saved Draft deleted